Swaybar installation tips

CMF_Daz

» CMF Member
I'm planning to install the Whiteline 20mm adjustable rear, 22mm fwd sway bars, Whiteline rear sway bar links and Whiteline lateral movement lock kit this weekend.
Does anyone have any advice/ tips for installation and then setting up/ adjustment of the rear sway bar and links.
I have read Alex B's thread re getting the locking bush snug.
Regards
Daz

Daz WROTE:

"I'm planning to install the Whiteline 20mm adjustable rear, 22mm fwd sway bars, Whiteline rear sway bar links and Whiteline lateral movement lock kit this weekend.<BR>Does anyone have any advice/ tips for installation and then setting up/ adjustment of the rear sway bar and links.<BR>I have read Alex B's thread re getting the locking bush snug.<BR>Regards<BR>Daz

hope you like noise if your getting the rear whiteline sway bar links.

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
grease the **** out of the bushings.. on both sides.. otherwise youl get a squeeking noise too!!

whats the locking kit?? is it micra specific?? or just whiteline sway specific? how much? i think i need one... swaybar moves a fair bit side to side...

Daz WROTE:

"I read about the Locking kits in an earlier thread<BR><BR>"Whiteline Swaybar Locking Kit + Spherical Droplinks<BR>Fri 06 Jan 2006 05:06:16 PM"<BR>W0450-(size) Swaybar lateral lock kit (available in DIA 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27, 30mm)<BR><BR>Fitting Guide <A title=http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/instructs/Z289_W0450.pdf href="http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/instructs/Z289_W0450.pdf" target=_blank>http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/instructs/Z289_W0450.pdf</A><BR><BR><BR><BR>They are still available from Whiteline

or if your tight, you can just get a piece of the right size hose and a hose clamp.

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
the polyurethane bushes tend to squeeze out any grease thats applied due to the tight clamping force of the bush mount. The joint dries up, seizing the bar to the joint and occasionally squeaks when under high loads.

my solution up to now is to use silicone spray lubricant instead of grease cos it keeps both surfaces slippery for longer.

i'm still using the original droplinks so no noise probs here.

any lateral support of the bar helps cos during cornering over time, the bar tends to shift to one side until one of the ARB arms hit the handbrake cable or trailing arm therefore causing a knocking noise.
the whiteline lateral support kit is nice but i'd personally just get a short piece of pvc pipe, cut a slot across one end to wrap it over the rollbar, position the two pvc pipes touching against the inner sides of the bushes, then jubilee clamp them in place tightly.

to set them up, i'd advise starting off setting the droplink to the hole furthest away (soft), then assess the cars handling in a safe location especially in the wet cos i found the middle setting gr8 in the dry but once its wet, things get abit hairy at times where the back likes to step out.

moving towards the harder settings make the back end lose more grip during fast cornering or lifting the throttle mid-corner so be aware that the back'll oversteer if set too hard.
take care

Back