Annoying Idle problem when warm ( thoughts gurus )

CMF_new blood

» CMF Member
i'll draw up the scenario here... once the engine is at proper operating temp ... will be cruising along.. then suddenly ( not always ) will feel a mild power loss ( similar to turning on air con )

As if the timing gets pulled back and goes retarded... and as i pull up to a stop... it overfuels and revs drop and idles very roughly ( similar to cutting to 3 cly ) then after 5 - 30 seconds ... ecu picks up and it goes back to normal....

ive only had the car for about 2 months... and when i first picked it up it uses to stall and die when in this mode...

Things i have tried

- Cleaning idle control
- Cleaning afm
- Plugged in diagnostic ecu ( no codes thrown up )
- Raised idle to compensate for low idle

This has now stopped the car from dying it now just idles roughly when it goes into ( retard mode )

according to the diagnostics it APPEARS as if there are no electrical faults... but i dont trust it as they dont always pick up on things like afm and other sensors...

lend us your thoughts...

thank you in advance

CMF_Jon (2)

» CMF Member
Possibly try resoldering the throttle body. Pretty common fault and matches the symptoms you have. There is a guide on this site to step you through it. Unfortunately i'm on a phone and cant give you a link.
If this is your problem them you'll have to reset you idle back to normal.

CMF_mo386

» CMF Member
hello
I had some experiance with the idel speed - if you start the car it should start havy arround 1400-1500 RPM-after about when it reach the temp 70-80 C it should drop to 850-800 when the fan start (Temp 97 C)
mine I get it down to 677-700

if it does not drop there is some problem in th TB ( you need to solder it-there is an title under idel speed take a lookk at it

CMF_new blood

» CMF Member
just returned after putting it back together again and driving for the last hour...

i think the problem is fixed... its very smooth now... idles normal... ( i reset it when the box was off it ) and drove it waiting for the problem to occur... but is gone and hopefully clear now :)

the other thing i had discovered is that i damaged my o-ring in the idle control the last time i cleaned it... this would have alos contributed to my strange idle behaviour but not the actual timing - surging - spluttering issue... just another thing to keep in mind... i had to stretch a smaller one over it as i couldnt find a right size one to fit it...

cheers guys... this site has been extremley helpful...

im hoping to get a hold of a 2 door now and sell off the 4 door... although i dont know why i should.. its in fantastic condition... :)

Back