Amount of Camber at the Front Wheels

baguete

Site Supporter
What amount of camber you guys use?

I got my SR aligned today and i got 0,56º on the left and 1,14º on the right. I have Spax coils, all whiteline bars, braces and traction kit. Can they change the camber?

I have some camber bolts that i can use to correct it, but dont know what sort of amount i should use, 1º seems very little, what you recomend?

cheers

Possibly a daft question, but they are both adjusted the same amount?

The difference could have happened when the hub bolts were being tightened (hub or shocker has slipped slightly)...i know the D2's have done that to me once before.

I find it better to jam something in between the hub and shocker (that suits the camber you want) to lock up all the movement, tighten then remove the spacer...that way both sides will deffo be the same.

I also suppose a slightly shorter shock on one side could be throwing off the camber...again my D2's cant be set to the same length as one side ends up slightly shorter once its all sitting back on the ground (engine vs gearbox weight i suppose). -- unless its just my coilovers haha.

Cant comment on your spax ones, but maybe a coupe of things for you to check :)

Edit: Just checked the coilovers you have and I see what you and stani were saying, so you should'nt have the accidental movement that i've had from the D2's when setting up.

The adjustable bolts should work with them, as the washer will keep them put and allow you to rotate the bolts to desired camber.

Yes, they have fixed settings. I will get the camber bolts installed and check if the caster is also affected like the camber was, if its a yes, must be something with the spindle, wishbone or top mount...

id say the camber bolts can be used too :) having it adjusted is something ive never had done ever though ive had some funky looking wheels / \ lol

You could start with -1...for testing so long as you know both sides are the same then it doesnt really matter what you set it to. Just means you'd need to go around again and set it up properly once you've finished checking.

Ive ran -2 or there abouts and it was great on corners, tyres get a bit of wear though, so im now at about -1.

I figure you'll get wear anyway...best to try and have a look and a play about and see what suits your driving style. :) I've lost count, how many times i've played with the front hubs now lol.

Tyre profile will have an effect aswell, lower profile less give in the tyre, so potentially less contact surface.

You'll get a good idea how it'll affect tyre wear as you adjust / look at final stance.

Worth noting I can't say how much quicker you'll go through tyres, correct toe and switching the wheels around to even the wear will increase the tyres life...but you'll know that anyway :)

Better use -1º for a start... :laugh: And im using 185/55R14 tires.

How about braking, i know it can be affected, but above which amount of camber?

I've never had braking issues, again tyre contact surface will the decider. Your tyres should adjust to suit...mine do.

I'd suspect you'd need crazy camber to affect braking and acceleration, like half the tyre off the ground. haha.

Back