air filter

are you going for noise or performance? id recommend that one for noise, but a replacement panel filter (and slight modification to the air box) will be better for performance

hmm depends what you want it for really, you will only notice the increase in noise over about 2.5k and when you floor it. You dont need a cold air tube, its just recommend for performance reasons.

As far as I know, fitting a cone filter such as the KandN 57i can actually lead to a slight decrease in performance on low-powered cars. They are good for loads of noise, but not so good for power. A replacement panel filter from KandN would probably be a better bet, as it will slightly increase power and although it will not make the car much louder it will give it a deeper sound when you boot it. Also the panel filter only takes 30 seconds to fit.

yeah i would say a panel is better, but i wouldnt go so far as to say a cone looses power. Just as long as you have a decent cold air field.

igot the flat panel filter. its good as its not an engine mod its just a replacement element, and im going to do something about the crappy air feed pipes soon. the flat panel makes the car feel faster due to a much qucker response and it sounds a bit deeper

just got a mushroom filter on top of the throttle body, thing is, if you stick your foot down from idle, there is so little air in the inlet for the vacume...i can nearly stall the engine via the throttle......:suspect:

but it doesnt half roar at full chuck...:girly:

get a sponge, put it ina sock then cable tie it in place lol - i have actually seen this done

the advantages of a perfromance panel filter depend on how good the standard filter is. was reading in a magazine recently a colt czt was put on a RR after a K&N panel filter was fitted its actually lost a bit of power. this meant the stock panel filter was very good.

with the high availability and low cost of k11 engines in uk, and if you dont have a problem with DIY, then the best performance gain is to run no filter at all. i know of quite a few motorsport/stock hatch guys who run without filters. its possible to pick up a complete 1.3 engine for the price of a K&N panel filter.. makes you think that does.

buy a flat panel element replacement (as this does not class as an engine mod as you are keeping stock air box). then un-plug the air intake pipe like i have and what you have is basically a bolt on cone. sounds awesome

nizzanz1 said:
with the high availability and low cost of k11 engines in uk, and if you dont have a problem with DIY, then the best performance gain is to run no filter at all. i know of quite a few motorsport/stock hatch guys who run without filters. its possible to pick up a complete 1.3 engine for the price of a K&N panel filter.. makes you think that does.

I agree, i ran a micra without a filter once. Its stupid loud and rather pokey :)

Mixed results!

Hi, im very new to all of this, but have a moderate amount of mecahnical experience on my micra. I cannot decide whether to buy a cone or panel filter, after reading or the other posts, i thought i had made up my mind, and was going to go for a cone. However, i heard from a friend that fitting a cone on top of the throttle body can cause a serious air flow problem, because without a feeder pipe leading to this area of the engine bay, the engine can create a vacuum in the area, and stall the engine.

Is this true, and also, if i was buy and fit a panel filter, just how much of a noise difference can i expect? I am mainly buyin this upgrade for noise rather than performance, so what kinda sound will i get?

Cheers lads

if "all" you want is sound, then drill some holes in the top of your airbox...thatle sound just as good..

and i have been running an HKS mushroom filter for about three month now and cant tell any difference whilst driving nornaly, but a huge noisy vibrating roar when i boot it...but no.. havent heard of any vacuum problems... i mean the car should be tarveling forward collecting air and releasing it through the wiper pannel.......

Back