Air-con stalls my Super-S

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
Not sure if anybody can help me with this.

I resoldered the TB about 12 months and everything is running fine in that case now, the stuttering and stalling has stopped.

But I notice when running the aircon, there is a huge drop, of over 500rpm!! I'm assuming it might be an electrical issue? I know that in my red LX I used to have, there would be an initial drop, but the revs would pick up again.

It is at the point now that if I stop at an intersection, I have to turn the AC off or else the car will die.

As a tempoary solution today, I've increased the idle speed with the AC off to around 750-800 rpm, I think for a manual gear box it should really be around 600rpm. When the AC kicks in now, it still drops rpm heaps, to just under 500rpm, but at least 95% of the time the car will keep running.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Tom

CMF_620racer

» CMF Member
Hey Tom,

Sounds like the idle up solenoid for the aircon system has spat it. If you have a manual, check out the troubleshooting. I'll try and have a look at mine when I get home tonight.

Trev

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
I agree, one of my Micras now doing the same thing and I've had trouble with the idle step up solenoid before.
You offset the problem a little by taking your foot off the accelerator a little bit slower ,I know this is not a fix and hard to do in stop start traffic but you should find that the engine can idle ok if you don't suddenly take your foot off the pedal.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Have you cleaned the black gunk out of the idle air valve? They're fairly high tolerance, if you leave a couple of loose lumps behind it can seize the whole thing up.

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
Yeah, I've been driving like that too mipcar, or keeping it engaged in 2nd until the very last second as I roll up to intersections. It's ok for weekends traffic etc, but stop start rush hour stuff sucks esp with the 40+ degree temps yesterday.

Thanks Trev, I do have a Haynes, so will have a look through that again this afternoon. I'll look at the idle air valve too nz_aj.

Back