engine stall due to steering?

CMF_detach8

» CMF Member
hey guys, appreciate those who responded to my poor fuel economy post earlier on. a couple of weeks back my radiator started leaking and i got a mechanic to do a top overhaul and found a jammed water pump, so my FC is perfectly fine now

however, my engine stalls and just today i found how to reproduce, with a 50/50 success rate

allow engine to warm up.. i drove around town
turn off a/c (this lowers my idle to approx 600rpm with gears engaged)
disengage gear (mine's an AT vehicle) to N or P
turn the steering fully to the left
engage D or R
while holding down the brakes, apply a little accelerator and let go
the idle will drop below 500rpm and the engine will stall, after the stall the engine light comes on which i think is normal for a stalling engine have that light come on

what could be the problem here?

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Probably a dirty idle control valve. They get jammed up with black gunk.
Might also need the idle speed setting. There's a procedure, not just a case of turning the screw. Wouldn't play with it until you've check the idle control valve.

CMF_thealchemyst

» CMF Member
if you have power steering your pressure switch maybe broken/disconnected this raises your rpm when thers a steering load to stop the car stalling if your engaging drive with the brakes on and the steering turned it will put more load on the engine and it wont compensate when youve lifted of the accelerator. obviously this will only be a possibility on a power steering model.

CMF_detach8

» CMF Member
nz_aj WROTE:

"Probably a dirty idle control valve. They get jammed up with black gunk.

Might also need the idle speed setting. There's a procedure, not just a case of turning the screw. Wouldn't play with it until you've check the idle control valve.

i took out the ICV. it doesnt look like a valve, more like something that spins. am i wrong? i basically just wiped off the black crap on the outside with a soft cloth, and put it back in. what did i miss?

Back