**'95 Micra Stalls Often. Please Help!**

CMF_BeeBoop

» CMF Member
Hello, :)

Another question for my Micra experts!
My 1995 Micra K11 Has developed a habit of stalling at any time it sees fit! At round-a-bouts, traffic lights, everywhere! And is extremely dangerous. The only thing i have changed since it was running fine, is the fuel tank. (same fuel pump) After the car stalls it has no issues with immediately restarting. It just loses power at any given time, i wait for it to completely stall, restart, and i'm off again for a short period of time. (45 secs maybe)
Could anybody point me in the direction as to what the issue could be.
Any help is very much appreciated, as i'm currently on two feet and heartbeat. :p

Cheers,
Adam.. :D

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
More info please.
Does it do it when engine is hot or cold or doesn't it matter.
Does it idle smoothly or too slow.
Does it do it under power or only when idleing or changing gears.
Any coughs or splutters or hesitation prior to it stalling.
Does it always start fine again after it stops.
How long does the engine run before stopping.

CMF_BeeBoop

» CMF Member
mipcar WROTE:

"More info please.

Q: Does it do it when engine is hot or cold or doesn't it matter.

A: Engine warm. (After about 10-15 mins of driving.)
Q: Does it idle smoothly or too slow.

A: Idle between 1000-1200
Q: Does it do it under power or only when idleing or changing gears.

A: All of the above.
Q: Any coughs or splutters or hesitation prior to it stalling.

A: Instant loss of power. Definitely no coughs or splutters.
Q: Does it always start fine again after it stops.

A: Almost always, sometimes on the third attempt perhaps.
Q: How long does the engine run before stopping.
A: After about 10-15 mins of driving

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
If it were ignition failure I don't think it would start right away again, sometimes a failing ignition module can be found by getting stopping problems once things get hot then ok again after it cools but as you can restart almost straight away again I don't think it's that.

Maybe some type of airlock in the fuel flow as you said it only happened after you swapped fuel tanks, maybe some crud gets sucked up, the pump starves of fuel and you stop. Once the pump is not trying to suck then the blockage moves away again till it draws up again. Having said that there should be a big filter over the pump so unless that was missing then pump should be safe.

Could it be something as simple as a loose connection for the power to the fuel pump or maybe the ignition. I'd check the pump first.

Just tossing out a few ideas here for you to check but I'd be sticking with fuel problems as a place to start as you said everyhing was fine before.

CMF_1300cc

» CMF Member
recheck the fuel pump and fuel line inside the fuel thank. and fuel pump wiring are not loose....but be sure to disconnect all battery connection before servicing the fuel tank and fuel system.....but something like this ill go to a license mechanic.....this is dangerous....

Back