After advice on a Satnav

rj007

Ex. Club Member
The problem is there seems to be sooooo many on the market now. Loads for sale on Flea-bay if i knew what i was after! If anyone has a one/knows much about them could they let me know how good/bad it is also cost/upgrades etc. (not too bothered about Europe)
Not really wanting to spend too much. fwn

I've only used the TomTom Go (no number after it), it's always worked perfect, nice sized display with name important and silly functions (voices etc), updated off net. Prices of the base model is dropping, I'm waiting to hit £100

The TomTom 910 is supposed to be pretty good - its got integrated traffic monitoring and a 20 gig hdd for holding extra maps etc. Oh, and bluetooth, so you can hook it up to your phone and use it as a handsfree set, but it hasnt been out for too long, so it'll prolly be a while before the price drops.

£500 from halfords for a new one fwn and im not sure about subscription costs...

I saw in the paper the other day, that the Garmin ones were pretty cheap in Halfords. We have just ordered the C310, so I'll let you know if it's any good.

There seem to be some pretty good deals on the Maplin website at the moment too.

Currently we're using Tom Tom on a PDA, if you already have a PDA, it's a pretty cheap way to get Sat Nav. I already had the PDA (£80 from ebay) for my Open Uni course and the GPS plugin thingie was about £30. Does the job, but is a bit bulky, although o/h's car is full of PowerFC, Snooper and gauges already, it's not so bad in the Micra where I just have my Snooper - you'll need a PDA holder too.

My dad has a medion PDA and GPS system - a few years old now but it's still good for long road trips.

Hell it got me to glasgow and back last year!

Ive got tom tom 500 on a PDA. Now tom tom itself is great, however the external GPS unit and the PDA itself are the reason why it can be a bit hit and miss. Crashes quite a lot and starts driving me across fields and things..

The stand alone unit im sure is awesome tho.

i use the Mitac Mio 269+. Awesome bit of kit which can be unlocked and used as a pocket pc as well. therefore able to install tom tom as well but the software on it is as good if not better than tom tom, and the maps are definatly much more accurate!

if your after cheap "RELIABLE" sat nav, look no further than the Tom Tom series. any of them..... we have sold more than 3000 since xmas and can honestly say we havent had a single one back.... unlike garmin, which seam to freeze on people, medion that are just rubish, Mio, waaaay too complicated, navman....er.......never ever get a signal.

depends what your after tho..
the newest ones, the 310 510 710 and 910 all have bigger screens than the older models and are much faster. they have blue tooth for your phone as a hands free kit and have live traffic and weather reports. the 910 even has a built in mp3 player..
the tomtom one is still the best selling navigator on the market tho, and for good reason too. its reciever can pick up a signal in a submarine if you wanted it too. they never fail, theyre small and portable. theyre realatively cheap... (£249 ish) and have every address in GB, also they all include free traffic cameras as standard with no subscription......bargain

anything you want to know about sat nav i am an industry expert on the things....lol

TomTom ONE is the one to go for, even cheaper than the TomTom 300.

If you have a smart phone or a PDA you could look into getting some GPS software for it. But I dont think you can ever beat a stand alone unit.

as a pertson, and an expert..... and the fact that i have had to sort out a massive company wide recall on all navman icn 320 and 520's........please dont buy one. you will have nothing but problems with it.... theyre crap!

believe me, tom tom is the way to go, they may not have the looks, or the marketing of the bigger comapnies....but they are the most relyable.....basicaly cos they use a mixture of tele-atlas and navteq software.....very clever actualy//

i have a garmin street pilot and its crap it takes ages to find sattalites and tells you to turn right when you have missed the turn

what car dya have it in...cos you may have a solar reflective windscreen. in wich case you will need an external antenna/.....if not.... then its just shizznit

dont get a garmin street pilot they are rubbish she tells me to trun round the corner when Im already round it

Gemma85 said:
dont get a garmin street pilot they are rubbish she tells me to trun round the corner when Im already round it
Typical woman. Can't even read a map for you properly! Can you not turn a man on instead? I bet he would tell you the right way to go. :laugh:

Back