Aerial change, what to remove..?

S

sunflare

Hello everyone.

Introductions first I reckon. :)
My name is Mauritz. I am a swedish resident and since last week proud owner of a 91 K10 1.2.

Now my main question concerns the aerial mounts on the K10. It seems a previous owner has made the usual mistake of running the car through the car wash without stowing the telescoping aerial. The replacement "coil of wire jammed into the mount" is not exactly performing satisfactory and I am considering replacing it with an aftermarket unit.

Now, I wonder if it is possible to fit a new aerial without taking the fender off. Has anyone performed a similar operation? Is it at all possible, or should I just go ahead and order a shop manual for instructions on how to remove the fender?

Sincerely // Sunflare

Welcome to the MSC

As the K10 aerial is just one unit, you'd have to replace the whole thing, including the cable that runs into the back of the head unit! I also lost mine in a carwash lol, and looked into aftermarket ones etc at the time, but because its not a screw on type, you'l just have to get a replacement from a scrap yard or someplace!

Unscrew the screw that holds the aerial in place and just pull it all out. Remember to disconnect the cable from the head unit first :)

Hello Arnold, thanks for the speedy reply.

Now let's see. The aftemarket unit I'm considering comes with ten or so feet of cable, the problem, I guess, will be routing it all inside the car. Perhaps if I lash some twine or a thin wire to the old cable when I pull it out and use that to pull in the new cable.

I'll probably just wait for my shop manual to arrive in case there are complications.

Cheers // Sunflare

sunflare said:
Hello Arnold, thanks for the speedy reply.

Now let's see. The aftemarket unit I'm considering comes with ten or so feet of cable, the problem, I guess, will be routing it all inside the car. Perhaps if I lash some twine or a thin wire to the old cable when I pull it out and use that to pull in the new cable.

I'll probably just wait for my shop manual to arrive in case there are complications.

Cheers // Sunflare

I tried that mate and the thing i was pulling fell off, so ended up having to feed it all through manually. It isnt all difficult tho, there's a rubber bung on the side of the car where the speaker wires run through for the doors. You can put a hole in that and run the aerial through it. Any excess cable can be tied up underneath the dashboard. Ten feet is quite a lot though!

Arnold

Ah, I'll try going in thrugh the door grommet then. Yes ten feet is quite a bit, the aerial is designed for roof mounting but I'll just ziptie the slack to a heater duct or the like.

Seems though, that I have more pressing matters to attend to as my head gasket is failing and the carb could do with some adjusting. Oh well, the joys of owning an old car I guess. :glare:

Cheers // Sunflare

Back