Advice needed - Car damaged (pics)

M

MichaelD

Hey, so I left my car out in the road, and my neighbour opposite decided to reverse into it!

She hit the front right panel above the wheel arch, however they have very little money and my mum said she'd prefer to pay for it rather than they pay - which basically means i'm going to pay for it as my mum doesn't have much money either.

So, I was just wondering if anyone had ever had anything similar happen to them? There is a smallish amount of paint which has been taken off, however I was thinking it might just be possible to get the dent panel banged out or something? Or am I going to need a new wing? (i presume thats what its called).

How much can I expect to pay for the panel to be banged out, or for a new wing to be fitted? I'm aware i could go get one from a scrapy and then respray - but isn't that going to look worse in the end as surely i won't be able to match the metalic green colour?

The car is a Nissan Micra Hollywood N Reg K11 and below are three pictures of the damage:

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9748/dsc000776qs.jpg
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/5200/dsc000788qu.jpg
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4927/dsc000794aa.jpg

Any advice at this time is welcome!

Easier to get a new wing there, if you can get same colour you're sorted.

On the note of them not affording to pay, sorry but isn't that why people buy insurance? If they know thay can't afford higher premiums after a hit they really should drive more carefully.

I'd ask them to pay for a new wing, they aren't expensive really, about £25 range and that looks fine to leave on whilst you look for a colour matching one.

You mean buy a new one? Do you think i could match the colour?

And you're right about the insurance thing, however, they've always helped out my family and tbh if I ahve more money than them, then i like to see myself as a Robin Hood.

Still, would have been nice if they'd have at least tried to give me some money...

If you're friends with them there is still no reason why they can't help you out with fixing it up. Even if you agree to go halves or something.

Surely sourcing a new quarter panel in green in decent condition can't be hard or expensive in the UK...?

Right, well i just called everyone offering them on Ebay for breaking. Alot had gone - one guy had a red and a white wing - wanted £35 or £50 delivered.

He was the only one with stock - however im thinking i should be able to buy new for around those prices right? In which case I might as well do that!

I wonder if its realisitc me expecting to find a wing for sale in the colour?

If i did it through their insurance company - they'd have to attempt to match the colour right? would it look off / not be worth it?

Thanks for the advice guys! Sucks cos right now i'd like to go visit breakers however i have the flu damn it :)

A replacement wing is definitly your best bet as suggested. Try a scrappy? Your luck might be in and the right colour part could be there waiting for you :)

I you treid colour matching it's probably look of as the paint would be fresh and newer than rest.

If you/mom is paying for it I'd just keep looking for same colour wing if you can but up with the dented wing, you can knock most that out, take the wing off, place it a soft surface like a few layers of sheets and with a rubber mallet hit the inside , should knock the worst of it out.

rofl... well im thinking i might ask them if they have protected no claims - even if they don't they should then give me their insurance details. i'd like to get this sorted outside of that - and maybe paneling this out while waiting for the right wing to turn up is a good idea!

thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys :)

You say they don't have much money and don't want to pay? Something says they may not have insurance?

Sorry but they're paying insurance, either claim and they pay an extra £200 or whatever on their next premium or they buy your wing and have it sprayed for £100

they offered to get their insurance details out - so its not that.

am i really looking at £100 for a spraying? in which case i'd prefer to get them to do it through their insurance i guess.

with this sort of thing, do you need to claim quickly? e.g. i cannot wait a few weeks before claiming etc?

If you both agree on the dates you say you can do it a couple of weeks later :)

But you're looking at £25 for the wing and around £50 - £75 for it to be resprayed by a bodyshop.

If it's metallic you won't get a match at home as they use an oven to bring the metallic flakes to the surface of the paint.

They can say that the incident occoured weeks ago and you wont get a penny, so do it now - they would do it to you.

i've tried tricks like that, works kinda bu most liked just over heat the paint and it blisters.

I'd ask them what they would prefer, in the end it's your car (not moms) and you need to do whats best for your wallet.
If they agree to pay cost get a witness on whats agreed, new wing and spray or coloured matching wing etc etc

Back