Advice and thoughts wanted!

Hi all, bought my first car last year- Micra 1.3 k11 5 door. Don't know 4 sure but who knows, maybe I'm the youngest ever micra owner (15 at the mo, nearly 16). Having great fun buying stuf 4 it, but as you can appreciate money can be scarce at my age! But i assure you that every penny I do get gets spent on the car!! So far I have only bought a few things, none of which are major changes but do make a small difference. Changes so far:
  • Spinners (ebay)
  • Noisy back-box (ebay)
  • Blue viper stripes (ebay)
  • Seat covers (local car shop)
  • Window tint film (nightmare to get on!)
  • CD player (halfords)

I'm writing this thread cos I am after some ideas on what stuff I should buy for the car. I would really like some different lights, body kit, spoiler, alloys etc but any other stuff would be most appreciated. When it is next light when I'm home from school I will take some pictures of it.

Thanks in advance.
Lloyd

Just to be all sensible and boring for a moment...

Whilst you might be having fun modding the car at the moment, which is great, just remember that insuring the car as a 17 year-old, which I assume you intend to do, will be increasingly expensive the more you modify it. I paid well over £1000 for my first year's insurance, and that was on a 1.0i.

Just something you may wish to bear in mind before spending more money.

sounds like a good project :D I put viper stripes on my micra when i first got it:
520803491a5435942962l.jpg

K11s look good with super s kits, open mouth grille etc, check out kristians stuff.

rather than replace the door cards, why not have a go at retrimming them in a different fabric, there have been some good examples of retrimming on here in the past.

Just to be all sensible and boring for a moment...

Whilst you might be having fun modding the car at the moment, which is great, just remember that insuring the car as a 17 year-old, which I assume you intend to do, will be increasingly expensive the more you modify it. I paid well over £1000 for my first year's insurance, and that was on a 1.0i.

Just something you may wish to bear in mind before spending more money.

i've gotta agree with jarthur05, I'm 18 and my insurance is over £1000, i've also been refused by a couple of companies on a 1.3 K11 LX so if i were you i'd just do simple mods like ICE and interior... maybe getting an imobiliser fitted to bring your insurance down so when you get going would be much cheaper in the long run. Saving up to pay for insurance upfront is always a bonus too...but so hard to save when so much to buy!

:k11motors

DSC01014.jpg

DSC00882.jpg

hope you dont mind me sorta hijacking with pictures but these are what I done on my interior. I think others have done this to but if you want a guide/question its no problem. I found alloy wheels didnt put my insurance up any.

actually I have a picture of what my pre facelift looks like with the painted centre console. I also did the bit round the speedometre. I dont have the car today but if I dont have pictures Il try and get you one of you wish!

Attachments

• Photo-0062.jpg
    Photo-0062.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 305
  • Photo-0063.jpg
    Photo-0063.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 312
Interior

Interior looks awesome, the material on door cards (original orange trim) are identical to mine and I want rid of them. Any ideas where I can get some material like that? I would like blue cos viper stripes are blue. Also would love to colour centre console blue. I have had it out before to fit cd player but after I have got it out could I have some advice on how to colour it??
Thanks for everyones help!!

Console was easy job to do if you want it metallic blue like mine I can point you in the direction of paint etc. Door leatherette I JUST sold provisionally (waiting for payment). Stick me on MSN [email protected]

Good job on the speedo Alfonze looks crackin!

Stuff

Is the door trim material just blue leather??
Would it be worth painting exterior trim i.e. bump strips, wheel arches, basically all plastic bits on outside?
And I would appreciate a link to some paint that will look good on centre console (blue).
Thanks again everyone.

ah another 17yr old micra modder.

My first car at 17 was a Micra. I did little bits which were covered in insurance then a few things which i had to declare. like lowered suspension, smooth boot and the rare rear LED lights i had. Everything else was standard stuff on mine. The colour change from Aj4 red to kandy red wasnt declared as it was red anyway and the paint i had loads left anyway at bodyshop.

Just be careful though what you do as some mods put price up £££100's whereas others added £60.

oh i forgot to add. My micra insurance on a 1.0 at 17 was £2300 TPFT!

oh and adding the 1.3 engine conversion to the micra added another £600 but that was in my 2yr ncb and being 19 so insurance then went back upto £2000.....

Is the door trim material just blue leather??
Would it be worth painting exterior trim i.e. bump strips, wheel arches, basically all plastic bits on outside?
And I would appreciate a link to some paint that will look good on centre console (blue).
Thanks again everyone.

Its blue leatherette yes I got it from Ebay from Germany. Paint I used on mine is Halfords metallic blue.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UPHOLSTERY-VI...7172872QQihZ018QQcategoryZ30172QQcmdZViewItem << link to the leatherette
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...rumb_33958-90885-90886_parentcategoryrn_90886 << link for the paint from Halfords I used

Thanks I will probably buy that stuff soon, will upload pics of completed job if you want??

Oh and i'm interested in lowering springs but heard that new shocks were required as well! Is this neccessary?
Thanks

It looks nice and clean, but get rid of the wheel trims, they're hideous imo, painted steelies would look better.

and dont knock yourself before you start.

hi defo get rid of the spinners and your micra is nice i think it is cool for a 15 year old to have and as sonic says dont knock your self mate you will be fine

Spinners (ebay) - CHAV
Noisy back-box (ebay) - I'll let you off on this one
Blue viper stripes (ebay) - CHAV
Seat covers (local car shop) -CHAV
Window tint film (nightmare to get on!) - As long as its done right its ok
CD player (halfords) - Good

mate seriously take a step back befoe buying cheap tat. That kind of stuff belongs on barry boys.

having said that, when I first got my SRi I wanted to put viper stripes and neons on LOL but saw sense before I had any money.

erm,i dunno wot to say, i just fell off my desk chair laughing,best laugh ive had in ages lol

nah but to be fair you are 15 and it shows lad, it looks like you crashed into a ripspeed department of halfords

get alloys or spray steelies
lower it
take away all the shiny stuff

good start though

Spinners (ebay) - CHAV
Noisy back-box (ebay) - I'll let you off on this one
Blue viper stripes (ebay) - CHAV
Seat covers (local car shop) -CHAV
Window tint film (nightmare to get on!) - As long as its done right its ok
CD player (halfords) - Good

mate seriously take a step back befoe buying cheap tat. That kind of stuff belongs on barry boys.

having said that, when I first got my SRi I wanted to put viper stripes and neons on LOL but saw sense before I had any money.

don't be so harsh, this aint barryboys after all!
I like it, the vipers look good and the only thing i don't really like are the wheel trims, but u have to do these things before you can tell what looks good etc.
Not bad for a 15 year old.

lmow01: im not going to say anything negative as that may be taken offensive, something i would never do!!! so....positives

you have a facelift k11, in silver :) which i really like!!!
interior is look good in blue, guessing you like blue and your colour schemes blue/silver!? keep it to two colours!!
pedals are good!

if you have any spare time have ago at using fibre glass and filler, you never know, you may take to it like a swan in the water :p and then you will be able to attempt some awesome / unique / never been seen mods (Y)

not being picky or telling you what todo but i think you should have alook through the "k11 blogs and 40pages worth of members photos"

http://www.micra.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=73

just to get ideas about what you want next etc!!

not intruding but if money is tight then its your chocie whether you spend it 2cheap items or 1expensive ace mod! maybe decide that a spoiler is next and save up for one from a scrap yard!! 100% difference a spoiler makes!!! easy to fit!!!

unfortunately i went abit over board on my k11, not in a silly way, just its pretty unique and that was something i decided when i got my SR!!!
wide kit, unique lights, nismo alloys, list goes on!!! not trying to boast or be big headed mate as im not!!! but i wanted a micra that most people said "wow" at!!!

thats my 2pences worth!

hopefully no offfence taken!!

keep up the unique mods!!
any help then dont hesitate to ask me or the forum!!

napster

I have to agree he's only 15 and this ain't barry boys, great to see someone interested in modifying a micra, the stripes work well as has been said if blue/silver is your theme stick to it. Theres some good ideas, I have car seat covers cos the orange really doesnt work... get the door cards done and maybe your centre console. Alloys are a must once you get the cash but until then maybe see about some less shiney wheel trims or spray your steelies silver. Most importantly keep modding, do what YOU like you never know might come up with something original that catches on. :grinning:

I've always liked having a proper theme. I hate these multicouloured cars! Blue and silver works well together. Red and white (or black) always works well too.

don't be so harsh, this aint barryboys after all!.

'Advice and thoughts wanted' - those were my thoughts, I'm just not going to go behind his back to criticise his car as he seems like a decent guy. If I like a car, I'll say so, and vice versa. I don't like this car but as has been mentioned everyone has their phases. It might end up being a 150hp street sleeper! Who knows.

Thanks and no thanks!! Cumon give me a break I have been looking for hours on ebay for some alloys, and as far as I know they will make my insurance a lot more expensive next year. Anyway it's a start, and when I have been driving a few years I will know everything bout my micra and will be able to start splashing the cash on it!!
Thanks everyone, i'm buying some blue material 4 door cards tomorrow, and also blue spray to do centre console.

Go for what you want....

Seat covers are not CHAV at all! They are a cheap way to cover up the crappy colour of the standard interior.....i couldnt stand my brown colour in my old K10.

Spinners are a bad idea though as if you want to attract attension to yourself and your car then this is the way as lowlifes will brake into your car just for the cd player.

Most of those modds your looking at aren't going to affect your insurance....exhuast maybe....but not alot....

A word of advice that my dad told me and that i should have listened to, but didnt when i got my first k10 at 15....so the same as you...is to save the money for the insurance....to insure my k10 when i turned 17 was £1200! AND THATS A 1.0L so just think are you going to be able to pay the deposite and first payment of around £300? i couldnt and had to get my dad to lend me some. Dam you £10 a week paper round! lol

But as i said....just a word of advice :)

Yeah im only getting £10 a week as well!! Spinners were cheap on ebay so I thought why not! I wish I could do a sound file cos trust me the backbox makes it sound like a beast. How easy is it to spray stock steel wheels??

Oh and them alloys look alright, thanks for link.

Yer but i think we can be a bit more constructive than CHAV, CHAV, CHAV!

I could be but I'm not going to. People tell me straight about doing stuff to my car, and I'd much prefer that than a thousand posts saying 'car looks clean mate' or 'looks cool keep it up'.

Yeah im only getting £10 a week as well!! Spinners were cheap on ebay so I thought why not! I wish I could do a sound file cos trust me the backbox makes it sound like a beast. How easy is it to spray stock steel wheels??

Oh and them alloys look alright, thanks for link.

Easy as pie! If you get a chance to get some spares with the tyres stripped off them, get a drill or angle grinder with a rotary wire brush to get rid of all the rust, grime etc, then depending on what you want to paint your wheels, take it from there.
e.g. I brush paint hammerited my old micra rims as I wanted to rust protect them and that was all they needed. But when I sprayed my GTi wheels, it was:
sand (a lot)
mask off anything you dont want to paint (In my case it was the lip)
primer (2-3 coats)
little bit of smoothing and sanding
paint (3-4 coats)
lacquer (2-3 coats)
Should look pretty good!

Also, a lot of members on this forum have shown that colour coding a few bits here and there, like door handles, rub strips etc, can make the world of difference!

just get some wet n dry, give um a once over, them just spray them with about 4 coats of halfords paint....which ever colour.....worked fine for my black steelies.....if your on a buget....this is the best way....

total cost =

wet n dry - £4....can be used for other stuff....
Paint - £12...two cans of which ever colour you choose...

Gunmetal grey can look cool on steelies, or white as moddedmicra has, but not sure if it would work against silver.

When I did my GTi alloys this is how they turned out (Seen here on my girlfriends GTi):
2007-03-02010.jpg

Which I liked but for my GTi I'm going to go all over black or dark grey.
As you can see, Tommo went for a defined silver/black theme that also worked well (Yes I have tweaked the lighting on this pic a bit and lowered the car but not by much).
editt2.jpg

Just as a side note, almera GTi alloys are cheap as chips and very durable. I've bought 4 sets so far! Lowest I paid was £40, highest was £100.

not sure it will look as good on standard steel wheels, and if I get some cheap alloys on there own I would still need to buy tyres which is going to cost money. Both cars look good though! Should I paint plastic bits on outside blue??

Not sure, IMO they would look better silver, best bet is to get hold of a copy of photoshop and try it on there, there are plenty of great online tutorials around for it!
Standard steelies would look good in very dark black methinks, or grey (not silver). Simple to do though as you can paint 1 wheel at a time and swap your spare onto the car while you do it, it just means you gotta get a bit more masking tape and newspaper to mask off your tyre!

Here's a pic I found of my old K11 on 14" steelies brush painted black but thats as far as my experience with painting steelies goes I'm afraid!
portisheaddocks006.jpg

Oh one thing I have been wondering about, is it possible to attach one of those universal spoilers to the standard micra boot spoiler (the one with a small lip that slightly hangs over the boot)? I presume there are other ways of doing it, but is the original spoiler strong enough to hold another spoiler up??

anything is possible! you may have to strengthen it but im sure it wouldnt be too difficult. A few people have attached saxo spoilers onto them i think

Back