Ack! Give me my Micra back!

R

Reconos

So here goes the story, ill try to explain it as good as i can with my limited english ;)

It all started Monday afternoon, when my car suddenly started to loose speed, and it didnt react when i pressed the pedal. I could only manage to get it going at around 20-40 km/h, if i got past that speed, the car would start jumping, as if it didnt recieve any gas at all!

We'll, i talked with my neighbour, who is a mechanic at a peugeot dealership. He looked the car over, and could then tell me that it had something to do with the injection/induction house/chamber(can't remember the right word, the thingie that gives the engine gas).. We'll, knowing this, i brought my poor micra to the place where i got it, and told em what had happened, and that i almost knew where the problem was..

I was told to come back the day after, since they needed to get the spare parts home, after they had discovered the problem. ( they didn't tell me what they thought was wrong, so i went home, believeing that they had thrusted what i told them!). I then returned wednesday, when i had come back from school. I then realized that they had changed something totally diffrent, but they tried to calm me down, and told me that it should be fixed now, and that they had taken it for a quick spin around the block. The price for this, 1600 dkr(145.7 GBP) with parts and all included(they changed the ignition tube and the cables leading to them).

I thought my neighbour might've been wrong and then took the bill and got into my car, driveing out from the building, the problems started again! I then went straight into the office and asked if they thought i had lied to them and what they'd do about the problem now. He tried to calm me down, and told me to leave it up to them, they'd check it the following afternoon. Then today, when i went to see if it had been fixed, i was told that they haven't had enough time to look the car over, and that they'd call me if they were finished with it. I then went home and waited for a phonecall. Just right before i went to work, the phone rang, and the mechanic told me that they had realised that it was actually the Induction/injection house/chamber(dont really know the word honestly!), and this spare part, unoriginal would cost me 2500 dkr (227.66 GBP, add another 1200 dkr or 110 GBP to that price for the fitting and stuff). They even told me that this was a common malfunction in the micra engine, Why they heck didnt they check up on it first then!!!!

As a poor student, this was just way to much for my wallet, so now my poor micra is just standing outside my parents house, looking all sad :/ Its just way to expensive for me. 500 gbp all in all. If they had listened to me at first, i might've been able to pay the bill, but now its just useless!

Just had to get this off my chest :/ Sorry for the typos and ####, english is only my second language :/

That's a right bummer. :(
I'd get down there and threaten legal action or something, as they have completely ignored what you have told them. Obv u don't actually need to take it, but threatening them with action will normally make them buck their ideas up!!! Also, don't deal with the general mechanics, go straight to the big boss.

Oh, and your English is very good!!! :D

If that was me I would only be paying for the second bit of work needing done, the one that would actually fix the car as they didn't do what they were meant to in the first place.

ok

refuse to pay for the first part as it hasnt fixed the fault

then ask for discount off the second part for the inconfience

dont go threatening with legal action its not they way to handle something that can be easily fixed

At the end of the day they fixed what they thought was wrong..mechanics these days rely too much on diagnostic equipment that isnt always accurate - i know myself from my workshop that its not always correct and we replace things, erase faults from the ECU and it runs fine - until the customer takes it home - fair enough if the car comes back we do use negotiation to get the car fixed and the customer hardly ever pays full price for the second repair - mainly pay for parts and get labour free...

As said above - legal action isnt the way to go - they will just tell you they fixed a fault that the found and it was fine on their road test.

Daz :alien:

K10Daz said:
At the end of the day they fixed what they thought was wrong..mechanics these days rely too much on diagnostic equipment that isnt always accurate - i know myself from my workshop that its not always correct and we replace things, erase faults from the ECU and it runs fine - until the customer takes it home - fair enough if the car comes back we do use negotiation to get the car fixed and the customer hardly ever pays full price for the second repair - mainly pay for parts and get labour free...

As said above - legal action isnt the way to go - they will just tell you they fixed a fault that the found and it was fine on their road test.

Daz :alien:

Exactly! That's what they told me! I went there to get a friendly talk with em, and they ended up telling me that it worked when it left their tests...
The repair would cost me more than 640+ GBP for a car that i payed 1.549 GBP for. And i cant have it back before the beginning of September. This is so friggin unbeliveable! I bought the car so i didnt have to ride the bus each day to school, now i hav eto take it anyways and pay the huge amount the damn bus driver demands! Im so frustrated right now. I really loved the car, but as uptil now, the cars repair bill is almost at the same expense as the car itself!

Im so going to talk to their owner when he returns from his Vacation on monday together with my uncle that is a head mechanic in the place.(He's atm on Island so hes not aware of what is going on!), but it just doesnt sound right with 640 GBP, heck im a poor student, I know that it costs money to own a car, but not this insane amount! I might even end up canceling my bodykit, which I'd hate to do, cause i srsly love the looks on it :/

Peace out, I'll get drunk tonight, and hopefully I won't wake up until monday morning where I can take my frustratetions out on the owner :down:

Ok so first of all the car doesnt run right, so they replace the ignition system, it probably needed doing any way. Plugs leads etc and charged you £145 inc labour, ok garages here can charge more.

So they then realise its the throttle body, and want to charge you a further £337 ish to change and supply this.

Its not THAT excessive to do that in a UK dealership would be alot more. You can get a throttle body from ebay for 100 ish. You could even change it yourself if you have any knowhow. Or offer your neighbour to do it for you.

Ed

Hi hi Don't worry your English is better than my Danish and i was born in Denmark lol.

The price they have quoted is cheap but i would just get the part and get your neighbor to fit it.

Anything that is changed is renewed so it isn't a bad thing that they have replaced them if they were on there way out

mate it is a common problem on micras, its the air mass meter that needs re-soldering :D

there is a guide somewhere....

if you have a soldering iorn then its a ten minute job and you'll be back on the road.. there is no need to pay anything :D

hope you get it sorted mate, let us know if you need any help ;)

Back