ATF Fluid

Hi.

I've been lurking for a while so thought I thought I should sign up and join in.

I've recently bought a 2002 Automatic K11 1.0S which I adore, great little car.

Although not very mechanical I'm willing to have a go at certain jobs and have had a tiny tinker already.

I'm of the opinion that the ATF fluid is either old or of an incorrect type as the car gives the impression of a slipping clutch when the auto box changes gear. I've tried to find out more on the net but it usually comes down to either incorrect fluid type or the torque converter. The fluid currently in the car is a light brown and reads at the correct level when the engine is warm.

I'm hoping to try to change the ATF fluid myself and understand I need to drain the existing fluid (although I understand only about half comes out) from underneath and then top up from above.

I've had a look this morning and think I've found where the ATF fluid is but would like confirmation. Is it in the sump diretly underneath the dipstick, just behind the passenger wheel and with the nut I need to remove to drain on the side of the box facing the rear of the car?

I hope this isn't a stupid question as I really want to get more hands on with this car.

Cheers.

Your ATF should be a rich red colour, like Raspberry sauce!
Its brown because its been in there a while. Brown usually means its old or burnt.
If it looks like Strawberry milkshake it means the gearbox is allowing water in. Not really a problem on Micras!

Before draining the gear oil, drive the car until the engine is at normal operating temp (half way on the gauge) then park the car up with the gearbox in neutral rather than park.

To drain it there is a large bolt type plug in the metal pan on the bottom of the gearbox viewed by looking under the front. Looks just like an engine drain plug. Its on the bottom not the side.

Leave it until the fluid flow has slowed to a drip drip drip.

To refill it use Dextron II spec fluid (About 3 litres) poured in slowly thru the dipstick tube.

Always check the level with the car at operating temp, on level ground with the car in neutral.

I only have K11 autoboxes on the bench, none in the car!
I'll sort out a pic if I manage to remember the camera.

If you look under the car from the front you will see the engine sump with the 14mm sump plug poking out, right?
Well on the bottom of the gearbox there is a similar sump pan, made out of steel rather than alloy with a sump plug in it, think its a 17mm.