ABS and Power Steering

Clearly didn't search well enough!

It's got drums on the rear, so doesn't seem to have ever been fitted with ABS...

So it's only down to power steering...

Car being stationary and on, can you turn the steering wheel lock to lock with one finger?? if so then thats powersteering, if your struggling to turn lock to lock using both hands then your car is non powersteering.. if you know about engines then on the left hand side near the strut top mounts there should have a PS resovoir if that aint there then again no PS.

J

if you know about engines then on the left hand side near the strut top mounts there should have a PS resovoir if that aint there then again no PS.

as mentioned you can see the reservoir on my car

micra001_zps951b43e4.jpg

Thanks - was about to post an almost identical picture!

I'm guessing it's the yellow reservoir and the white one is brake fluid, right?

Splendid thanks.

jonez - really? I thought I read somewhere that the drum'ed 1.0l never came with ABS. Doh. I''ll need to investigate further, any suggestions beyond driving it in a parking lot and slamming the brakes? :p

Splendid thanks.

jonez - really? I thought I read somewhere that the drum'ed 1.0l never came with ABS. Doh. I''ll need to investigate further, any suggestions beyond driving it in a parking lot and slamming the brakes? :p

ABS is just a system that can work with any braking setup, discs or drums.

ways to tell if it has abs:
- turn on ignition and look for the orange ABS warning light initialising,
- look for this ABS modulator unit with the 6 brake lines coming out of it

dsc00356-jpg.41147

located behind the battery

k750-80-jpg.30754

- an ABS master cylinder only has 2 lines going straight over to the ABS modulator
- ABS hubs will have a square tooth sensor ring on the end and a black sensor with a lead cable coming off it.

Thanks - very helpful. Don't have an abs modulator that I can see, and my master cylinder seems to have 4 lines going out (of which one would seem to go straight to the nearside brake) so no ABS.

Phew.

Time to order some parts now!

Back