'93 K11 CG13DE - won't start - sometimes..

nik0lai

Club Member
Hello.

My GF's K11 wont start sometimes, but sometimes it starts at once,
and runs like nothing ever happens. But then, another time, when she's going to start
the car, it's completly dead! Well, the starter works, but there is no sign of life
in the engine at all.

What can it be?

I've checked fuelpump, distributor rotor arm and cap.
I've replaced fuelfilter, air filter and sparkplugs, but still the shame #### is happening.

sounds like a NATS problem maybe? maybe the chip in the key is damaged or the ring around the barrel is loose?

if it runs fine then that suggests that its nothing wrong with the engine itself. if you start it and it just doesn't fire at all, then that is going to be a security system some where, most likely. otherwise it would fire now and again if there was an intermittent problem

its a 93 tho eh nex (pre-nats) if its totally intermittent and not worse when cold or damp, then it could be a mission to pinpoint :eek:

its a 93 tho eh nex (pre-nats) if its totally intermittent and not worse when cold or damp, then it could be a mission to pinpoint :eek:
Well, when I come to thinks of it, it think it have been raining when or just before the times the car won't start.. Could that be the "reason" ?

Well, when I come to thinks of it, it think it have been raining when or just before the times the car won't start.. Could that be the "reason" ?

do you keep it in the garage? maybe you can put it in there and see if it works better

I'd go for ignition switch or fuel pump.

Too old for NATS problem, windscreen clips would show up as a water leak.

To check the ignition switch start the car and put dipped beam on. Grab the key and vigorously pull and push it in the lock as you would if performing a car-jacking.
If lights flicker the ignition switch is on its way out. Problem usually occurs when different people use the same car as some people hold the key differently or turn it faster than others (Really!)

If its the fuel pump try turning the ignition off, then either slide your foot under the fuel tank and kick it as hard as you can in the middle or lift the rear seat and fuel pump cover (3 10mm bolts) and thump the top of the tank unit.
If it starts after you have punched/kicked it you know the fuel pump is on its way out!

Gotta be the windscreen clips needing resealed surely if its when its wet (allows water into wiring/ecu)
I've fixed this a while ago.. Still same problem.

I'd go for ignition switch or fuel pump.

Too old for NATS problem, windscreen clips would show up as a water leak.
Well, I can hear the fuelpump starting, so I don't thinks that is the problem. Ignition swith tho, haven't thought about that.
But would the starter worked if the ingition switch was ####ed? The ign. switch does send power to both starter and ecu, right?

Flooding? I know I always drag this one out but it happened to my K11 loads.

Take the fuel pump fuse out and crank the car with the throttle fully open, if it starts (should do within 30 seconds), rev it until it runs out of fuel and reconnect the fuse.

If it doesn't, leave the throttle open for a while to evaporate some of the fuel just in case.

Back