Micra K11 CVT auto 1.3 won't start (Actually a Mitsuoka Viewt K11)

Hi Everyone,
It has been a while since I have been on here. I own a 1998 Mitsuoka Viewt Cabriolet 1.3 with a CVT auto transmission. As you all probably know it is a K11 Micra with Jaguar MkII body styling. I bought the car a couple of years ago in the UK and had it supposedly professionally converted to LHD as I live in Barcelona now. When I collected the car it was running and steering, but it was apparent to me that the guy was a cowboy as it had been LHD converted, but he gave me a verbal list of things that needed finishing etc and there were lots of relays and wires hanging down above the pedals.

I trailered the car back to Barcelona and have only just got round to looking at it about 3 months ago. Following numerous inspections trying to find the faults with the numerous things that didn't work, I decided to remove the dasboard, seats and carpets to get a better look at the wiring etc. (Sorry for the long winded thread, but I feel it is important to finding the fault). I discovered that the wires had been stretched, extended, taped up any old how and were travelling through various metal areas where they could easily short out by rubbing on them. The Nissan 14 pin consult socket had been tied up amongst the wiring loom with cable ties along with the rear fog light switch and various other plugs were not connected.

The biggest shock was to find that the dasboard console support uprights and support for passenger airbag was missing. I managed to locate all this from a guy in France breaking a LHD Micra K11. To try and cut a long story a bit shorter, I methodically went through everything slowly and surely tracing things via the internet and a workshop manual for reference. Absolutely everything was working except for the engine sounded like it was only running on 3 cylinders.

I put the dashboard back and started to do other things like disc pads etc. Last week I changed the oïl and fitted new spark plugs and it still sounded rough. I put in some fresh petrol and probably via coincidence it won't start anymore. I have checked the pump and it cranks up the petrol when you turn the key, I have changed the fuel filter, so fuel is getting to the fuel rail, but still nothing. I opened the air filter and if you pour petrol into the top of the throttle body it starts and runs for a few seconds, but smokes a lot.

I don't know where to start now as it could litrally be anything. I have a feeling it maybe something to do with the electronics sending signals to the fuel rail, but I am not sure. I also did a manual test with the consult socket and it gave me code 55 , which apparently means everything is working well. It is also fitted with a Sigma S30 Alarm/ Immobiliser. .Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks to you all for your patients if you have taken the time to read this,
Steve.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Hopefully someone will be along shortly to help you.

I would suggest breaking up your wall of text with some paragraphs though. A lot of people turn away at the sight :)

EDIT: Much better!

Last edited:
if it only runs when you prime it with fuel, its gonna be an injector or fuel pressure problem steve.
i would remove the rail and check if it is spraying fuel first

if it only runs when you prime it with fuel, its gonna be an injector or fuel pressure problem steve.
i would remove the rail and check if it is spraying fuel first
Hi Frank,
Thank you very much for your suggestions, I will try that tomorrow and come back and let you know.
Thanks, Steve.

Hi Frank,
Thank you very much for your suggestions, I will try that tomorrow and come back and let you know.
Thanks, Steve.

Hi Frank,
I didn't get much time today to investigate the fuel problem, however I did manage to undo the fuel rail from the engine with everything still hooked up and crank the engine over a few times. You were right, no fuel at all coming out of the injectors. I know the fuel is pumping up to the fuel filter, but after that I don't know yet why it isn't going into the fuel rail. Am I right in thinking that the ECU controls the amount of fuel coming in? I need to investigate a little more tomorrow. Any other sugestions of tests to carry out would be most welcome.
Thanks,
Steve.

Yes the injectors have a constant live and are signalled via earth frm the ecu mate, best to check for the 12v live first then remove and turn the dizzy to listen for injector clicks

Yes the injectors have a constant live and are signalled via earth frm the ecu mate, best to check for the 12v live first then remove and turn the dizzy to listen for injector clicks

Hi Frank,
Thanks for your reply, do you mean physically remove the dizzy from the engine and rotate it by hand with the ignition on?

Hi Frank,
I sort of did what you said, but as I never did find out where the pdf manual was, I was unsure about the exact precedure. I cheched each of the injector plugs and they all had a good 12v feed with the ignition on. So one by one I connected a bulb between the connections on each of the injector plugs and cranked over the engine. Each one pulsed the light on and off, so now I know the ECU ground feed is working. Also just after I had finished cranking over the engine, I pulled the fuel hose coming from the filter off of the fuel rail and fuel gushed out. However when I checked the spark plugs they were all bone dry. A mystery.
Why isn't fuel getting into the cylinders?
I would appreciate any help.
Steve.

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the link. The only test I did on the injectors was undoing the three bolts holding on the fuel rail and lifting it so I could see the end of the injectors. When I cranked it over for 5 seconds, the injectors seemed dry. Maybe I should get someone to crank it over for me so I can watch them whilst it's cranking over and not just after?
I will digest the pdf manual now, thanks,
Steve.

Back