6x9's in the front doors?

P

p9m4rk

I have recently acquired a set of Kenwood 200w 6x9s and have heard rumors that it is possible to fit these suckers in the front door panel. Any ideas as to how?

The rumors are not true, im guessing you have a K11. K11's have holes for 6.5" speakers as standard with a 54mm mounting depth. To get 6x9's to fit then you would need to cut door card and rebuild around the speaker.

Mike

RE: RE: 6x9's in the front doors?

mike said:
The rumors are not true, im guessing you have a K11. K11's have holes for 6.5" speakers as standard with a 54mm mounting depth. To get 6x9's to fit then you would need to cut door card and rebuild around the speaker.

Mike

here's a pic of my 6X9s :p

9-69.JPG

So put that in your pipe and smoke it :laugh:

You've cut the doorcard, which is what mike said!

There is no point in putting 6x9's in your front doors. Either get a decent set of 6.5" coaxials, or a set of 6.5" components.

i diddn't cut the door card, i cut the plastic speaker cover and drilled new holes in the door for the bolts,

but they are too bassy, i'm gonna chuck in some alpine 16cm mid tones above and then the tweeters in the A pillers should complete the range :)

personally i wouldnt put them in the front door speaker, due to the sound quality. 6x9s are best in the back.

My alpine speakers (need to check what size) but they are smaller then 6x9s, and they just about fit.
it only has two srews holding it in cos they r too big, and the door card sticks out abit lol.:blush:

Mine with the door pockets removed from the door card. The K11 allows a maximum depth of 54mm for the speaker. The speakers I now have are 75mm deep, so I ended up making some baffles for them, and these are bolted directly to the metal car door structure.

I'm in the process of fibreglassing the door speaker pods to fit, and I'm just waiting on some trimming material to arrive :)

baffle.jpg

I think a decent set of 6x9s in the front doors aimed up towards the front driver/passenger as a front-stage-setting compromise is a very nice thing to have indeed if you are able to isolate the doors from flexing and vibrating too much.

Also - before I forget.

If your going for amped speakers up front, I suggest you go for some sound deadening material on the doors.

Dynamat Extreme is excellent but quite pricey :)

Absoutly, People so often overlook front of their car. I just think of the endless cars with boom boom and totally naff front end setups! Reminds me of my ollldddd K10 which had 220wrms per side for front speakers :)

agreed, deadening stops all the sound being lost outside.

the 6X9s sound good but they are too bassy to be used on there own and give a muffled sound, so a good mid range speaker is needed to compliment the bass.

when i do the door cards in fiberglass i want to tilt the 6X9s and use some nice mid tone speakers as well.....

Components would be better suited, with a seperate mid and tweeter, along with a crossover box to filter the signals to each. It will also allow you to improve imaging, by playing around with the speaker positions.

Ed, I agree. So many car's I've been in have had stupidly loud bass, with a front end that just cannot keep up. I used to run an active system with over 250wrms per side, but that was a bit excessive!

I'm now running passive DLS's with around 150wrms per side, and they are lapping it up. They go plenty loud with no distortion/problems and certainly keep up with the subwoofer in the boot :).

I've gone from an active system with 3 amps, to a passive system with 1 amp and more power (in total) than beforehand!!!

well well, Nex brings life to the urban myth! :p what did you build the speaker surround out of? must sound sexy in up front!

hehe yea you can feel the bass against your leg :laugh:

the risers are made out of 10mm MDF and there are two rings, one is bolted ontop of the door card and straight into the door and the other is bolted to the first one and the speaker screws through both....

the real trouble is cutting the plastic door pockets, but i'm gonna ditch them then i do a fiberglass door build :)

Back