5th Gear mon 14th 8pm

masterbiker

Ex. Club Member
5th gear next week will be putting petrol on test. I guess we will finaly find out if optimax is worth the premium price that it is.

good stuff... bad news is.. theyll probably test it with a milage/power out-put scale chart graph 3d cgi render.... using a seriously non-applicable car to everyday drivers like a Ferrari 360 or somthing silly

If you read Haynes manual, states that the engine is designed for use on 95 Octane fuel, but will also run with 98 octane but will give NO advantage over 95

Alienfish360 said:
If you read Haynes manual, states that the engine is designed for use on 95 Octane fuel, but will also run with 98 octane but will give NO advantage over 95

I posted this up so people would know that the deffernt petrols would be tested by 5th gear and might find it interesting, not if its good for any individual car.

Both the 1.0 and 1.3 regarding K11 CG10 and CG13 I think they are...

The only advantage is between petrol stations and supermarkets. Supermarkets get bottom of tanks and get put into one. Whereas petrol stations such as BP and Texaco get the good stuff from them. I'm led to believe

masterbiker said:
I posted this up so people would know that the deffernt petrols would be tested by 5th gear and might find it interesting, not if its good for any individual car.

Not trying to say that it's not interesting, still worth a watch. But in my opinion it's more of a marketing thing than anything else. Happy to be proved wrong though :)

Alienfish360 said:
The only advantage is between petrol stations and supermarkets. Supermarkets get bottom of tanks and get put into one. Whereas petrol stations such as BP and Texaco get the good stuff from them. I'm led to believe

Thats gotta be rubbish! Supermarkets buy there petrol from BP/Shell/Texaco etc, afterall, how many Morrisons or Asda refineries are there in the north sea! They simply buy there fuel from the leading suppliers and sell it on rebranded

The Car will only run better on a petrol with 98 Oct if the car has been tunned to run on the petrol. (i did chemistry as an AS)
This is because 98 has a lower Sparking point. A lesser spark will ignite the petrol where as 95 needs a higher spark. In theroy The 98 will give out more enjergy per litre due the higher octance number but the engine has been to set up for the petrol or you will see no difference

The only seperation from supermarket fuel v's branded pump stations is the additive packages used. The bulk fuel will be from Esso, BP etc etc so quality is not something to worry about.

Incase anyone missed it the results are as follows:

For the new Cleo:

Supermarket 95ron 81bhp
BP Ultimate 97ron 81bhp
Optimax 98ron 81bhp

New Golf GTI

Supermarket 95ron 172bhp
BP Ultimate 97ron 174bhp
Optimax 98ron 177bhp

Impratza STD (was a typo, but i thought i would leave it o_O )

Supermarket 95ron 235bhp
BP Ultimate 97ron 248bhp
Optimax 98ron 249bhp

They also told the torque figs for the STI

Supermarket 95ron 232 ft.lb
BP Ultimate 97ron 248 ft.lb
Optimax 98ron 258 ft.lb

They sumed up buy saying that optimax is best but only if your car can appreciate the difference. Which people on here have already said.

Optimax :)

I can comply with their tests. I have an Impreza and it definitley makes a difference but you can only notice it if you are driving the car hard. With standard octane its looses the top end punch. Optimax rules man.

VladCFC said:
The Car will only run better on a petrol with 98 Oct if the car has been tunned to run on the petrol. (i did chemistry as an AS)
This is because 98 has a lower Sparking point. A lesser spark will ignite the petrol where as 95 needs a higher spark. In theroy The 98 will give out more enjergy per litre due the higher octance number but the engine has been to set up for the petrol or you will see no difference

Sorry, that is rubbish.

Higher octane means that the activation energy of the fuel is higher. This means that it is less likely to suffer from pre-ignition or knock. The spark plug produces well in excess of the amount of energy needed to cause ignition, so octane rating has little effect on anything to do with sparks.

The theoretical amount of energy that can be recovered in a petrol engine from fuel has little to do with octane either. The reason that the use of higher octane fuel can result in more power being produced is that the ignition can be advanced, or the compression ratio increased (either by changes in the engine, or by increasing boost).

Like Slim says, using higher octane fuel in a car where the ignition timing stays the same, or the compression ratio the same, will make no difference. Modern cars like the Golf Gti and the Impreza have knock sensors - they advance the ignition as far as possible before knock occurs, which is the point where the most power is produced. This is why they benefitted from the use of higher octane fuel.

On my car when it worked the car would not really run that well on normal unleaded, so it always ran on super unleaded and occasionally on optimax. But then again my timing was around 20 degree's and i have fast road cams.

Mike

It would be nice to see a longer term test, to see if the cleaning additives etc optimax and bp ultimate make much of a difference compaired to normal 95ron, and to see how a normal super unleaded 97ron does.

i run mine on 98ron but i have advanced the timing, the cars is a lot smoother to drive now not flatspots etc etc

Back