45mm Drop

Right the time has come to man up and got low.

First things first, i CANNOT go 50mm as it will void my insurance. Has to be less than 50mm.

So what would be the best (and cheapest) way of achieving a 45mm drop all round?

Ive been advised just to chop standard springs rather than buy 35mm's and chop them as the stock ones will still be longer when not compressed (less chance of un seating even though id zip tie them to hell). In an ideal world id have adjustable coilovers And just set them to about 48mm. Also id like to gain a little stiffness to the ride, but not so much that going over a small pothole will leave me paralysed.

Cheers :)

I'd go for the Tein 35mm kit and cut the spring ever so slightly to get a 45mm drop. You've got to be careful with insurance these days. It's all well and good saying 'yeah, well they'll never find out" but if you total your car and hurt yourself or god forbid, others in the process, the police seize your car to investigate the accident. They won't be getting out the tape measures but it's fairly easy to tell the difference between a slammed car and a slightly lowered one.

Also heard a few horror stories recently about people getting pulled by the police and the police actually ringing up their insurance companies to make sure their mods are declared. Fairly prominent in Milton Keynes where we have our fair share of Gaz's and Tracii's driving barely legal bodge-tastic slammed VWs around.

Little bit of a long winded post for what your asking, but don't run the risk. You never know what's around the corner.

Also heard a few horror stories recently about people getting pulled by the police and the police actually ringing up their insurance companies to make sure their mods are declared. Fairly prominent in Milton Keynes where we have our fair share of Gaz's and Tracii's driving barely legal bodge-tastic slammed VWs around.

dunno u must have heard of the lakeside meets but thats what they been doing there ewveryone meets in tesco car park and then the police shut down and block the roads off letting one at a time pass while they check the cars out for undeclared mod etc but there are hundreds and hundreds that meet down the lake side area and iv seen a few that the police have taken

Find a cheap used set of coilovers and "make" them fit like I did

Adjust ride height to whatever you like then

If you want cheap then put Matiz rear springs on your Micra front shocks. Then put Corsa rear shocks on the rear of your Micra and chop a few coils off the Micra springs to match the front. Costs about £45 in all :)
I recon a 45mm drop is achieved but would have to measure to be sure

If you want cheap then put Matiz rear springs on your Micra front shocks. Then put Corsa rear shocks on the rear of your Micra and chop a few coils off the Micra springs to match the front. Costs about £45 in all :)
I recon a 45mm drop is achieved but would have to measure to be sure

Corsa rear shocks + micra springs or corsa read coilovers? Frank said in another thread on their highest setting they drop you about 50mm. Is there a lot of work involved making the matiz shocks fit?

Really unsure what to do. Chopping 35mm springs i risk them unseating is they have a shorter uncompressed length than standard ones. Cant buy 50mm springs as that's blatantly going against my policy. All new shocks and coilovers etc seem to drop 50mm or more

You will need to grind 1-2mm off the bottom bush to make it fit and buy 2x M10 bolts to hold em in place

Never heard of the Five-O pulling people over checking for mods, usually the ANPR is what kicks it off but sometimes the look of a car is enough to have a kick of the tires. I guess car park meets gather a certain trend of drivers they feel they need to crack down on....maybe it helps fill their quotas?

I'd love that to happen to me just once, the poor copper would be there a loooong time checking all the mods declared with Sky, there's plenty of em lol! :rolleyes:

Never heard of the Five-O pulling people over checking for mods, usually the ANPR is what kicks it off but sometimes the look of a car is enough to have a kick of the tires.

VOSA checking is common here. Cars pulled over (usually into a car park) and a quick "mot check" is done on your car. If it fails your car is seized and you could end up with a fine and a court date like my friend.

They don't usually seize cars, you usually get given 21 days to have it re mot tested if it fails your the eligible for a fine.

Back