2003 Micra K12 won't start

Hi,

This is my first post. I have a 2003 Nissan Micra K12 1.2 SE manual with intelligent key. The car has around 40k miles, (it is driven very rarely).

I charged the battery yesterday (it was flat and is now fully charged) and when I tried to start the car it wouldn't even crank!! The NATS light flashes when I climb into the car, when I turn the ignition on the NATS light is on constantly (solid).

I am guessing there is some sort of fault with the immobiliser, I can't afford to have the car towed to a garage and would like to diagnose the problem myself but information is not widely available online for these cars

My last car was an E46 BMW 320d which I used INPA for; my current car is a vauxhall vectra which I have op-com for...can anyone point me in the direction of a relatively cheap diagnostics cable/software?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated :)

I know you can get the OBd2 code/fault reader things from ebay, but I haven't got one so am not sure which you'll need...

a quick search of the forum get these threads...
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/k12-04-1-2-auto-non-start-engine-light-on.48044/#post-495349
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/juddering-under-acceleration.46284/#post-478507
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/code-readers-timing-chains-resets.31338/#post-347447

there aren't alot of specifics in some of these but maybe so a search on ebay/amazon etc and see what code readers come up...I don't think they're all that expensive (£20?)

according to the NISSAN Micra owner's manual:

"if NISSAN Anti-Theft System (NATS)* is malfunctioning, this light will remain on while the ignition is in the ON position"

Further in the same section it says something about it may not start due to interference from another NATS key, an automated toll road device or automatic payment device on the key ring...Restart the enginge using the following procedure:

1. Leave the ignition switch or kn0b in the ON position for approximately 5 seconds
2. Turn the ignition switch or kn0b to the "OFF" or LOCK and wait for approximately 5 seconds.
3. Repeat step 1 and 2 again.
4. restart the engine while holding the device (which may have caused the interference) separated from the registered NATS key.

if all else fails...call up nissan...surely they can't charge you for a bit of advice? :p

Good luck...and welcome to the site by the way ;)

Thanks for taking the time to post those links

It seems the code readers on eBay cannot turn off the nats light, only clear the eml

Ill try the ignition procedure you mentioned when I get home from work

Thanks!

No problem...I'm not sure that'll do the trick but worth a try..

Like I said, you may have to phone up Nissan, see if they can shed some light ;)

...Hmmmm...maybe :(

you don't have to book a diagnostic with Nissan though
...it may still be something so simple...new battery in your Fob?....perhaps?
have you tried your spare key?....or do you not have the spare?
perhaps you could get one of those car locksmiths out, they can check/re-program your key...not sure how much it costs though :oops:

...Hmmmm...maybe :(

you don't have to book a diagnostic with Nissan though
...it may still be something so simple...new battery in your Fob?....perhaps?
have you tried your spare key?....or do you not have the spare?
perhaps you could get one of those car locksmiths out, they can check/re-program your key...not sure how much it costs though :oops:

I have tried both keys with no success :(

Car locksmith here in Belfast seems like a useless waste of time tbh...they might provide more in England but here they're not very useful unless you lock your key in your car.

Both batteries in the fobs should be fine (replaced a few months ago and central locking works fine)

The car was sat for maybe a month with a flat battery and I think this has to have something to do with it

Only other option I have is to tow the car to an Independent garage to see what the fault is, I'd really have preferred to have read the fault code myself first to see if its something I can fix

I've already disconnected the battery for over an hour and reconnected to see if anything reset and I checked all fuses related to the intelligent key and immobiliser above the obd port.

I've run out of ideas without getting the fault codes read unfortunately

If battery was in a discharged state for one month it may have become sulphated and charging won't fix that, you may simply need a new battery, see if you can swap a battery from one of your other cars to test. My battery died the other week it still had enough power to operate the door openers and light up the dash lights but failed to turn the engine.

If battery was in a discharged state for one month it may have become sulphated and charging won't fix that, you may simply need a new battery, see if you can swap a battery from one of your other cars to test. My battery died the other week it still had enough power to operate the door openers and light up the dash lights but failed to turn the engine.

I could be wrong here, I have tried jump starting the car with my vectra, surely there is enough power there regardless of the state of the battery in the micra to at least attempt to start the micra? But it doesn't even crank once. I have charged the battery for a few hours and it shows as fully charged 12.4V. I can turn the lights on and main beam on and when I try to start the car there is no loss of this power (because no power is drawn from battery as it won't attempt to start). So I am a little concerned its more than just the battery, especially since the NATS light is illuminated constantly while the ignition is in the on position :(

Thanks though

Just an update, disconnected the battery again tonight after work, charged it for a few hours, tried it in the car again and nothing :(

Then connected it to my vectra with jump leads and it started first time!!!!

Hoping that's it sorted (fingers crossed) :D

Thanks for all your contributions :)

Yay!!!!
I really hope it's sorted too.

I thought that a decent/full battery should read over 13v through your multimeter?.....I'm sure my dad told me that once...I may have mis-heard :p

....either way I'm so happy she's working now...must have just been in a funny mood :p

it's like the airbag warning light, sometimes it's fine but other times it's a pain in the backside LOL

Radio won't turn on now, I switched a few fuses about the other day, I'm thinking the problem was a faulty immobiliser 10A fuse and needed the battery disconnected to reset and now the faulty fuse is in place of an Audio/Radio fuse

Not even going to attempt changing any fuses incase the car won't start again, so stuck with no radio in the car now :(

*Facepalm* ....not your week, huh? :(

Not quite lol

Gonna give the car a service this Saturday, are there any guides on how to do this? I serviced my 320d myself and now my 1.8 vectra myself, both without problems :lol:

Service kit including 5L oil, oil filter, air filter and 4 spark plugs for just over £30 using the PARTS25 25 % discount code :D

I might change the 10A audio fuse, especially since I just found the document wallet of the car with the radio code :D

if you visit Guy's MicraK12 website and click on the very last full stop of the home page you'll Download a PDF full manual for the K12...
because Guy is made of awesome ;)

I don't know the specifics of servicing ...I only know how to change the oil and filter and air filter on the K9K enigine :p

£30's not bad for a full servicing kit ;)
getting the oil cheap is getting more and more difficult...last time I think we ended up getting some special offer at ASDA! :O
so you've done alright...
we tend to get our filters (oil/air) from Halfords as my dad has a Trade card, usually saves us 50%! Bargain
(he helps run a Locost racecar)

I think you'll be fine...just take your time...and don't forget to catch the dirty oil...and put the plug back in before you start putting fresh oil in :p

if you visit Guy's MicraK12 website and click on the very last full stop of the home page you'll Download a PDF full manual for the K12...
because Guy is made of awesome ;)

I don't know the specifics of servicing ...I only know how to change the oil and filter and air filter on the K9K enigine :p

£30's not bad for a full servicing kit ;)
getting the oil cheap is getting more and more difficult...last time I think we ended up getting some special offer at ASDA! :O
so you've done alright...
we tend to get our filters (oil/air) from Halfords as my dad has a Trade card, usually saves us 50%! Bargain
(he helps run a Locost racecar)

I think you'll be fine...just take your time...and don't forget to catch the dirty oil...and put the plug back in before you start putting fresh oil in :p

Many thanks for the link :D

Yea I have a basin to catch the oil :p

Just read some horror story's about oil filter tools and breaking them off with a screwdriver and ending up with your driveway destroyed :(

So hopefully it doesn't rain and I can take my time!

You're Welcome

There's a few guides on Guy's site too...in fact http://www.micrak12.com/oil.htm I know yours is a 1.2 .....but how different is the set up of the 1.6? :oops:

Yep I too have read about people struggling to remove their oil filter and stabbing it to death with a screw driver to get leverage LOL
hopefully, that won't happen to you?...
I wonder if one of those "Baby boa" JAr opening aid things would help? ^_^

You're Welcome

There's a few guides on Guy's site too...in fact http://www.micrak12.com/oil.htm I know yours is a 1.2 .....but how different is the set up of the 1.6? :oops:

Yep I too have read about people struggling to remove their oil filter and stabbing it to death with a screw driver to get leverage LOL
hopefully, that won't happen to you?...
I wonder if one of those "Baby boa" JAr opening aid things would help? ^_^

Is that like one of those JML jar openers I've seen advertised :lol:

Again, thanks for your help :)

Changed the oil, air filter and spark plugs. Couldn't get the oil filter changed, had the car on ramps and it was so awkward to reach, and I was using an oil filter wrench and it just wouldn't come off so I gave up after a half hour :(

Back