K12 04 1.2 auto Non start engine light on

Hi just registered and need a bit of help. Just bought a cheap Micra and need to know if there is anyway of reading the fault codes without using Consult-II ? I am mechanically minded and have worked on all manner of Datsuns/Nissans Pre consult. It had a small rear ender that requires only a bumper, no metal damage like someone has reversed into something. Anyways any help would be much appreciated. I've heard that the MPi unit sometimes fails along with the timing chain stretch problem on the 1.0 I dont take collection till early next week but am keen to crack on. BTW it has 30k.
:p

I got the cheapo OBD-2 today and plugged it in and got One code P0304 Cam shaft sensor meaning its almost certainly the Chain. Having spoke to my mate whom is a parts manager at a Nissan dealer, I've been told to take off the rocker cover and measure the protrution or something which should be No more than 9/10mm. Anyone got ideas of what this is? Anyone got any pics ?

arrowed :)

Attachments

• KITC-NIS037.jpg
    KITC-NIS037.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 434
Thanks Frank. I stripped the rocker off today and just about managed to see the piston protrution from the tensioner which I found to be around 20mm. So this definately means its the chain. My parts manager friend explained that its best to get a kit as this comes with the New inlet cam pulley thingy which wont require any setting up. Apparently you just bolt it on, fit the chain and take out the pin if it has one and oil pressure once started will adjust it automatically. No setting up required. If using the old one which I'm Not, it requires cleaning out and setting up with the pin the correct place or it could knacker the chain. Does that sound right ?

17112011278.jpg

Back