Clutch kit advice

lewic

Ex. Club Member
My clutch is on its way out, and having been quoted £385 by my usual garage (because it is a 180mm clutch, apparantly. Or do I just look like a sucker?) am looking to buy a kit myself and am shopping around for cheaper mechanics.

1) Is £385 way over the top to replace a clutch on the 1.3? Was previously quoted £240ish by the same garage, but they thought it was the smaller clutch.

2) Can anyone recommend a good quality clutch kit? And places to buy it? Dont need anything fancy, just reliable. (There are a few clutch kits on Ebay, all claiming to be top Japanese quality, but I'm sure some of them come from the car equivalent of Poundsaver!)

3) Can anyone recommend a trustworthy mechanic in Bristol/surrounding area? Had one much cheaper quote, but the guy "didnt do clutches" and was going to outsource the job to someone else, which put me off.

Would love to be able to do it myself but dont have space in a narrow residential street, and my mechanical ability is at Haynes 1*!

i dont see how the size of the clutch makes any difference to them changing it...after all they all still go in the same place.

id say yes that price is way over the top, though i dont know exactly how much it should cost as id be more inclined to change it myself...as i dont live near you in unable to answer question 3 :) ...i think a 1.3 clutch kit is about £50ish (cant remember exactly) and that was for a direct replacement LuK clutch.

Clutch kits

Talk to your local Nissan dealer, their clutch kits offer really good value for money and there will be no problem with it not fitting correctly. A main Nissan dealer would proberly charge something in the region of 275.00 all in. Ask them if they would match another garages quote.

we used to do clutches for £300 when i worked at a nissan franchised garage, they'd know what they're doing and have it back to you quicker than anyone elso probably could, as they should know what they're doing, and using genuine parts.
so unless you're gonna attempt it yourself, i'd go to nissan.

Clutch Kit + 3.5 hours labour to fit at say around £60 p/h (dealership price) £210 so i dont know where they are getting the £380 mark, £280 id see fair but not £380!

I got quoted 340 last month for a new clutch from my local garage! bought it myself from partco and had a mate from the ssang yong garage do a homer. cost me 40 for the clutch and 40 for labour!

Tried Nissan and they quoted £348. In the end went to garage recommended by a workmate who are charging £160. Picking the car up monday evening, am hoping they arent going to bodge it!!

I went to Lockleaze Service Station, Lockleaze Road BS7 9RU. Tel 9691478. So far happy with the work they did.

bloody hell! that price is way over the top, i got a gearbox and new clutch fitted for £70 at my local garage

Back