Heavy clutch

Here's my problem......or maybe not ???? How heavy is your clutch pedal.
This year I've had a new cable and clutch fitted, however, it seems to have gone a bit on the heavy side to depress.
I may be fooled by the new clutch I've just had fitted to my carry van.....very light, but I think its just gone to the heavy side ! similar to the reason I changed it in the first place.
It changes gear no problem, plenty of free play before the bite, so......any thoughts ? or are they all a bit heavy - ish ?
I've read on here about dirty splines and greasing a lever somewhere, yes / no ?

pollyp

Club Member
a stock k11 micra cable operated clutch should feel pretty light, although not as light as the modern hydraulic clutches like on the k12 onwards.
but if it gradually got more resistive over the past month/years to the point where ur leg aches or the pedal is creaking under the strain, then it could be either sticking release bearing grease or more commonly a dry sticking clutch cable.

when it gets very heavy, things start to break such as:

k550i-1443-jpg.29365

- cable rivet pin shearing off
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-6#post-407293

imag1267-jpg.35119

- outer cable mount shear off
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-114#post-699142

dsc09668-jpg.35992

- clutch pedal chassis mount ripped off
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-117#post-701561

in the end it was all caused by a dry cable.
so I lubed the cable with some engine oil and it became all light again.

frank

Club Member
Here's my problem......or maybe not ???? How heavy is your clutch pedal.
This year I've had a new cable and clutch fitted, however, it seems to have gone a bit on the heavy side to depress.
I may be fooled by the new clutch I've just had fitted to my carry van.....very light, but I think its just gone to the heavy side ! similar to the reason I changed it in the first place.
It changes gear no problem, plenty of free play before the bite, so......any thoughts ? or are they all a bit heavy - ish ?
I've read on here about dirty splines and greasing a lever somewhere, yes / no ?
you can pretty much rule them out if you,ve had a new clutch and cable eh davy, and if the spline was sticking it would effect the clutch release too, i find usually its the shaft bearings on the arm, the only problem is that there is an (inaccessible) oil seal on the top of the shaft, tho you can try dripping some oil in there every few days.
i had to drill a small diagonal hole into the casing on one of my k11,s to cure the heavy clutch

PB170303.JPG

OP
OP
davyboy
Ok boys, thanks for all of that, I'll see if it gets any heavier, and if so......I'll show the fitter Franks cure and have that done.
My girl did sit in a garage for three years after her smack, so maybe dried out them bearings ?

frank

Club Member
the seal in the pic is slightly below the level of the casing davy, so i was able to just keep dropping oil onto it till it free,d off, the seal on the one that i drilled a small oiling hole was flush with the casing and the oil simply ran off the side.
praps you can wiggle/pry the seal down a bit on yours ?