1993 1.3 SLX wont run

Hi Folks, my 17 yr old son has just bought 1993 (K 11 I think) 1.3 SLX that has been standing on a driveway for 12 months now. He was told that it's been off the road because of a faulty fuel pump. He has replaced this and bought a new battery too. He has tried to start it several times now and each time the sequence of events are as follows;-

1/ When the ignition key is turned the engine spins freely.
2/ After about 5 seconds the engine reluctantly fires (no throttle used).
3/ If the throttle pedal is touched, the engine dies immediately.
4/ If the throttle pedal isn't touched, the engine ticks over for about another 10 to 15 seconds then gradually dies.

Any good ideas as to where to start ??:sick:

The fuel pump is letting too much petrol through, therefore flooding the engine, therefore forcing the car to cut out

:confused:
Maybe

hi theonionma

if i take the fuelpump fuse out of mine, it will tickover but die if i try to rev it, like yours
it sounds like there is no fuel pressure to me, i would take the pipe off the top of the fuel filter (it should squirt a bit as you take it off), then run a pipe to a can, and it should gush for a few secs then stop with the ignition on

hi theonionma

if i take the fuelpump fuse out of mine, it will tickover but die if i try to rev it, like yours
it sounds like there is no fuel pressure to me, i would take the pipe off the top of the fuel filter (it should squirt a bit as you take it off), then run a pipe to a can, and it should gush for a few secs then stop with the ignition on

Have you replaced the fuel filter as well? Alot of people forget about this and it causes some fueling issue if dirty enough.

My old 1ltr K11 had this issue, check the fuel comments that people have left however I'd check the sparks as well to see if your getting the correct firing order etc.

Back