195 miles from full tank £48 1.0L

Please can someone help me out with this, I own a 2001 Nissan Micra Sport 1.0. It's got 115k on clock. Oly bought it recently, About a week ago I filled the full tank up, cost me £48. It's only lasted me about 195 miles and its empty. I know for a fact there is a problem clearly lol, I always drive about 20/25 mph and skip gears at right time etc

i don't even use the gas harshly, I brake in plenty of time, always nice smooth drive, how comes my micra is drinking so much petrol? I know a guy with a micra, he gets a good 350/375 on a full tank and he even puts his foot down sometimes.. Pease can someone help me on what problem could be? Thanks

Im having the same issue believe it or not, whats your service interval like? ive replaced a few things recently, distrobuter cap, oil change, air filter, oil filter,

Found my dizzy rotor is worn beyond belief and my thermostat is currently stuck open, hopefully sorting tomorrow will let you know my findings tomorrow, does your car heat up adequately? and is it idling nicely.

I haven't serviced it, but will do next week, the cars warming up nicely and is running nice and smooth, honestly, the car drives so nice, just really stressed cause of this fuel problem, every micra owner I know can't stop complementing the good fuel economy on Micra's, I don't wanna sell the car cause it looks so good in looks! Gonna post some pics up of it tomorrow bud

Yeah sounds good matey, first things first, get that service done, then maybe if its not service related, we can start checking the sensors out. start logging down the fuel economy, ill do the same also.

1. do major service
  2. re grease on these brake calipers
  3. get top grades of tyres or energy saver
  4. get wheel tracking & alignment
then you can find out what is the difference between from before and after.

i hope this will be help... :)

I've never got anywhere near 350 miles from a tank with either of mine (2002 1.0 & '96 1.3 March). It was/is usually around 200-260 and that was after services and checking everything too, although they were both on 15x7 wheels which I guess could have made a bit of a difference :/

How much does a K11 tank hold? I always thought it was 42 litres but today I only managed to get about 30 litres in (from nearly empty) and it was full. The pump kept clicking too, like it does when the tank's full but it did this every time I pulled the handle on the pump (took me ages to fill up) :confused:

It states in Haynes that its 42l but ive noticed that micra reserve light has the ability to hold a shed ton of fuel so I think its reasonably accurate o_O

They are capable of massive miles when micras are happy though!, the pump can sometimes click on the prefaces iirc, I think its a hose inside that blocks the fuel going down somewhat or something but it makes the petrol spit out, I just used to put the tip of the nozzle in to sort that problem instead of the full thing :p.

1. do major service
  2. re grease on these brake calipers
  3. get top grades of tyres or energy saver
  4. get wheel tracking & alignment
then you can find out what is the difference between from before and after.

i hope this will be help... :)

Yes this is what im going to do, thanks alot for that mate, if i still dont get good mileage, gonna get rid of the car and maybe get a 02' Nissan Almera.. My civic 1.5 Vtec used to give me so good mileage, full tank for £55, used to give 350 miles driving standard plus some vtec action here and ther

My rear brakes are very bad, il get a pic up today and you'l say the same lol, also, the steering wheel is not straight..
Also should i replace the coilpack?

200 to 260 is a bit low for full tank unless you've got a fairly heavy foot. I'm on 270 this trip with almost 1/4 tank left.
And yeah the micra fuel gauge lies... I always have about 10l left when it claims to be empty.
Replacing the coilpack may give a better burn and help the problem but get it checked before you spend out on it. Servicing would be better to do first

Hi everyone

Mine is a 1.0S (Manual)
3 Door Green

Petrol prices at the moment are around £1.37 a litre. !!! rip rip well i'm geting 50mpg !!!. Here's how i do it.

1, tyre pressure 36psi all round - regular full service easily done myself.
2, Drive like a grandad,
3, quickly get in to a high gear as soon possible so by 30mph i'm in 5th gear. Taking incline etc in to consideration.
4, extremely slow acceleration, light right foot
5, coast anywhere and everywhere. i.e approaching lights / going downhill
6, stuck in traffic going downhill i will stick it in neutral and let it roll
7, just chill and enjoy the views around you, let others overtake at stupid speeds. HA HA They are burning the petrol not me !!!
8, Every 6 months i will take the tyres off and grease up the brake calipers + good clean all round​
9, easy on the braking- remember the highway code lol plan ahead...

:) :) :)

I have the 1.4 and I get about 250 on an average tank but I normally fill that up when I start the red zone, Only ever seen the fuel light on once and that was when I bought her, so I recon I could probably get 300 if I let it get lower :) I think my foot can be a little heavy at times though :)

Also the handbrake light is on, even when handbrake is off, and today when I left my car in car park for 2 hours, came back to it, and there we a big black puddle, looked like oil on the floor at the frontier under the engine :( I got my car for £550 and its a 51 reg, maybe that's why I got it for so cheap :( it must be totally effed..

200 to 260 is a bit low for full tank unless you've got a fairly heavy foot. I'm on 270 this trip with almost 1/4 tank left.
And yeah the micra fuel gauge lies... I always have about 10l left when it claims to be empty.
Replacing the coilpack may give a better burn and help the problem but get it checked before you spend out on it. Servicing would be better to do first

init man. 10miles (or more) is always leftover when the petrol flash come.:mad:

Hi everyone​
Mine is a 1.0S (Manual)​
3 Door Green​
Petrol prices at the moment are around £1.37 a litre. !!! rip rip well i'm geting 50mpg !!!. Here's how i do it.​
1, tyre pressure 36psi all round - regular full service easily done myself.​
2, Drive like a grandad,​
3, quickly get in to a high gear as soon possible so by 30mph i'm in 5th gear. Taking incline etc in to consideration.​
4, extremely slow acceleration, light right foot​
5, coast anywhere and everywhere. i.e approaching lights / going downhill​
6, stuck in traffic going downhill i will stick it in neutral and let it roll​
7, just chill and enjoy the views around you, let others overtake at stupid speeds. HA HA They are burning the petrol not me !!!​
8, Every 6 months i will take the tyres off and grease up the brake calipers + good clean all round​
9, easy on the braking- remember the highway code lol plan ahead...​
:) :) :)

wonderful advice :)

5, coast anywhere and everywhere. i.e approaching lights / going downhill​
6, stuck in traffic going downhill i will stick it in neutral and let it roll​
With these ones, i've heard that it's better to actually keep it in gear with your foot down on the clutch and let it coast that way. I'm not sure how/if this actually works though, i've tried both ways but not enough times to notice a significant difference

Also, remember that on any fuel injected car, petrol and diesel, if your foot's not on the accelerator you're using NO fuel so coasting is very economical .

And i'd run closer to the tyre max pressure if your after economy, the less bulk from deflation, the easier the tyres will move but you will sacrifice grip, I run my micras for economy with 38 front 36 rear, id definitely check the breaks and wheel bearings as any resistance doesn't help, I think really it might be time to pull out the ol multi meter and start checking voltages from the sensors that control general running of the motor.

Also, remember that on any fuel injected car, petrol and diesel, if your foot's not on the accelerator you're using NO fuel so coasting is very economical .
Would that apply to coasting in gear, with your foot on the clutch too? (not on the accelerator). I've heard stories that this works/uses no fuel but also some that say it does still use fuel

Would that apply to coasting in gear, with your foot on the clutch too? (not on the accelerator). I've heard stories that this works/uses no fuel but also some that say it does still use fuel
That would use fuel to keep the engine running. If you're in gear clutch up though and coasting downhill or something then the motion of the car turns the engine over using no petrol.

No, if the clutch is pressed in, you're using fuel because the engine has to maintain an idle.

Under engine braking the car will use zero fuel, pushing the clutch in returns the engine to idle using fuel, coasting with the engine off is nuts, you lose your servo assist - accident waiting to happen. Using the engine to brake the car saves a fortune in fuel - plan ahead - do it - you'll be amazed on the saving.
Easy on the acceleration - another big saving, Jen has already said this and look at her fuel figures !!! Grandad driving I'm afraid.
Although the occasional blast is very much to be desired.:) Time I grew up methinks.

fuel consumption @ idle is very minimal tho eh, far less than lifting later and decelerating via engine braking.
many hypermilers use burn and coast/pulse and glide ;)

When I tried pulse n glide, few things I noted/thought bout.

Amount of throttle during Burn phase:
Too small - good efficient burn mixture but high pumping loss.
Too much - low pumping loss but very rich mixture for max power wastes efficiency.
Ideal level might be one that gives the most acceleration per L of fuel.

Pumping loss through a closed throttle:
There's a lot of engine braking when I shut the throttle which is slowing down n wasting all that precious kinetic energy into heat, especially at higher revs.

Gearing:
Coasting in low gear = high rev = high friction & pumping losses = wasted energy.

How bout medium throttle burn using ur gears to keep the revs in the most efficient peak torque range of the engine to get up to speed asap using the least amount of fuel per mile

Then shift to high gear to reduce frictional & pumping losses

Then turn IGN off to cut fuel and WOT to reduce pumping loss n engine braking.

Going to sell the car off instead, too much problems with it. Few times i come back to the car with a big puddle of oil on the floor, handbrake light is always on, airbag light is on, car engine is noisy, central locking is mad, doors unlock itself at random times, also its drinking way too much petrol 195 miles from £48 and thats by driving slow/eco. Going to get another micra 1.0L instead, less hassle.

fuel consumption @ idle is very minimal tho eh, far less than lifting later and decelerating via engine braking.
many hypermilers use burn and coast/pulse and glide ;)
Planning ahead is the key to engine braking, engine braking in the correct gear is the key to using the motor efficiently. I've only ever used 3, 4 and 5 for braking purposes - 2 is too low, and your nearly stopped by the time you would use it.
I used to use the burn and glide system with my Jags - that's a very good shout as well. I'll try that with this little girl to see how she goes.... nice one Frank - thanks:)

My 1 litre Micra does roughly 70/80 miles (urban) on a tenner.... No matter how I drive it.. Tyres set at 34 psi all round and brakes have no Bind at all...... Pity it needs a bit of welding for the MOT :/ ..........

My 1 litre Micra does roughly 70/80 miles (urban) on a tenner.... No matter how I drive it.. Tyres set at 34 psi all round and brakes have no Bind at all...... Pity it needs a bit of welding for the MOT :/ ..........

My 1.0l micra is only giving me about 40 miles to a tenner, and I usually drive 30mph at 5th gear.

Had a nice run to the airport this week, to pick up the missus and daughters mum in law. They've just had 10 days in Benidorm - 26/28 degree's everyday (hu!) Anyway. Filled the girl up to the brim, nice run up and picked up the two girls with their suitcases - or small bungalows as I call them, that's the bags - not the girls. Never knew bra's, knickers and shoes weighed that much !!!
Anyway. Up and back 249.7 miles round trip. Just me on the way up, two girls and couple of suitcases masquerading as lead weights on the way back. popped into the garage next day to fill her up for a mileage check. So, 249.7 miles, and to fill her up - 24.7 litres. So by my reckoning, that's 50.54 miles per gallon. Not bad. Bit of granddad driving, bit of pulse and glide, fully loaded for half the trip. Motorway and dual carriageway most off the way, a steady 75/85 mph and that return - happy with that.
Petrol here at the moment, £1.29 a litre, so cheap trip.

popped into the garage next day to fill her up for a mileage check. So, 249.7 miles, and to fill her up - 24.7 litres. So by my reckoning, that's 50.54 miles per gallon. Not bad. Bit of granddad driving, bit of pulse and glide, fully loaded for half the trip. Motorway and dual carriageway most off the way, a steady 75/85 mph and that return - happy with that.
Petrol here at the moment, £1.29 a litre, so cheap trip.

Your lucky, 50 mpg, i drive like a grandad and im getting crap fuel economy, i mean, £10 petrol, at 1.35 a litre, only giving me 40 miles?! Do you think its better i get rid of my micra, and get another one?
Cause i've noticed a few problems with mine, its got 115k on clock, handbrake light is always on, airbag light on, powersteering fluid leak, engine is very noisy (sounds like a diesel) ..

You've got to keep the girl in your life well serviced to get her purring, might be worth spending a few bob on her. You know, a few choco's, clothes allowance - whoops!!! SORRY...SORRY - wrong track there, oil and filter, new plugs etc, cheaper than my first suggestions, yeah.

Yh looks like im gonna get it serviced, then see how it goes, everytime im about to put it up for sale, i end up not doing it. The car looks good in looks for a Micra, check out my Build Thread mate, maybe you'l say same thing

I got about 208 mile out of 35 litres about 27 mile per gallon i think.

That seems a little low. Fully serviced 3 weeks ago plugs oil etc. 34 psi all around on 185 wide tires still 14''.
Tracking is out one wheel almost points straight the other not even close and they have a poo load of positive camber. Question is how much differance is there to be with correcting this to straight and slight neg. Camber think about minus .2.

Any feedback would be greatly appricated.

Also the 27 mpg is half pootling along and half kenny loggins danger zone...

Maybe 27 mpg isn't that bad.

Edit. Also noticed that when the engjne is cold it uses alot more fuel than warm. I know this is suppsoed to happen but the difference is huge. I have never expiranced this kind of difference between hot and cold on anything every. And i have had a load of cars (went through 5 last year).

Also a side note i have noticed that 10 litres from shell last longer than 10 litres of esso. This thends to be consistant across any number of litres and conditions. Anyone else notice this?

Well guys as Davyboy says, show the micra some love. Are your brakes binding? Jack her up and steady her on axle stands. Take off all four tyres or a corner at a time if you don't have axle stands. I would advise to remove calipers and back drums. Give them a good clean and grease up all round. Check for any binding. Take it from there as 40 miles to a tenner Micrasport 786 and Singh at 27 mpg27 mpg is low low low man. You guys shold be in the range of 45 / 50 mpg. :cool:

Mine is a 1.3 does that make a major difference. Plus it is mostly mostly city traffic in london (1 hour to drive 3 miles rush hour)

Mine is a 1.3 does that make a major difference. Plus it is mostly mostly city traffic in london (1 hour to drive 3 miles rush hour)

You can walk 4 miles in an hour. I'd get a folding bike for the boot of the car if I had to do that sort of journey.

Well guys as Davyboy says, show the micra some love. Are your brakes binding? Jack her up and steady her on axle stands. Take off all four tyres or a corner at a time if you don't have axle stands. I would advise to remove calipers and back drums. Give them a good clean and grease up all round. Check for any binding. Take it from there as 40 miles to a tenner Micrasport 786 and Singh at 27 mpg27 mpg is low low low man. You guys shold be in the range of 45 / 50 mpg. :cool:

Can't really be bothered to mess around with the car, I have no time or experience, it's better I get rid of this car and find another micra. 40 miles to a tenner is ridiculous for a micra, I used to get 60 miles from £10 in my civic 1.5 vtec..

The rush hour is pretty much your problem I would think. Also your tyres are pretty wide as well, more rubber = less mpg.
I'm on 165s - toyo's, 14" I'd cycle that distance myself, or maybe a moped.

Can't really be bothered to mess around with the car, I have no time or experience, it's better I get rid of this car and find another micra. 40 miles to a tenner is ridiculous for a micra, I used to get 60 miles from £10 in my civic 1.5 vtec..

where are you from mate?

where are you from mate?

Birmingham. Im gonna try to get rid of this Micra, and get a dark green one like yours, and spray my alloys gold like yours. You micra looks wicked, looks ghetto, thats a micra i want mines to be like, im gonna copy your base, if i had yours i'd black out the windows on it too :D

Birmingham. Im gonna try to get rid of this Micra, and get a dark green one like yours, and spray my alloys gold like yours. You micra looks wicked, looks ghetto, thats a micra i want mines to be like, im gonna copy your base, if i had yours i'd black out the windows on it too :D

5th at 30mph? Good for cruising but if you need to pick up any speed you'll have to drop a gear...or two or you'll just be wasting fuel.

I get 70~ miles for a tenner.

Got 200 miles on my first tank from full to the first red bar just before the light came on, most of those miles I was learning bite/clutch. Done 50ish miles in it since and haven't even hit the first segment, at a mix of 50-70mph. Great little car, bloody love it.

Cheers mate. Tbh it also depends on how the car has been looked after. mine has done nearly 116k. It drives and sounds sweet. A little love and a little micra magic... :D

Cheers mate. Tbh it also depends on how the car has been looked after. mine has done nearly 116k. It drives and sounds sweet. A little love and a little micra magic... :D
Bro, I'm keeping my micra, it's too much of a hassle to sell, I'd rather get it fixed, how about I get a new coil pack, get it serviced etc, then you reckon it should be fine? Also what do you mean by brakes binding? I haven't got a clue about brakes etc, shall I leave it to professionals? Cheers for any help bro

;) Good to hear your keeping her. I would not reccomend a new coil pack yet, Binding brakes = brakes sticking and not releasing fully causing extra wear to brake pads and discs. This also heavily affects mpg as your car has to work harder to provide the same performance as non binding brakes. You mentioned your hand brake light is allways on. This may be a malfunction or it could point towards rear brakes.

I would suggest the following
1, Check tyre pressures and adjust to 36psi all round
2, Take it for a drive approx 30 minutes. Park up and immediately get out the car and feel your tyres and wheels. Your looking out for hot wheels. There may be one or more noticebly hotter than the rest, this will point to binding brakes.
3, give it a full service
- Oil and filter change I reccomend blue print for the oil filter and castrol gtx magnatec oil.
- Fuel filter change i reccomend blue print
- New spark plugs i reccomend NGK
4, Listen out for a blowing exhaust. Get under the beast and have a good old poke around.
5, Do you ever have a fumey / petrol vapour type smell in / around the car? If so i would reccomend checking for leaks in the fuel system.
6, Next time you fill up throw in some petrol treatment to clean out your fuel system. Reddex is good for this.

Hope This helps good luck and keep us updated:D

my 1.3 used to get 180/220 to a tank, but i never used 5th
check the wheel bearings if no one has said it before
lambada sensor can give bad fueling if its worn aswell

OK, filled mine to the brim this morning (£43.00) and reset the trip. I will let you know how much I have left after 195 miles which should be Friday morning.

Back