10" sub and 12" sub in the same system? does it work?

B

bal

ok so i currently have a 12" sub in a sealed box, i listen to hardcore dance,
rap and some drum n bass

what will happen to the bass lines in my music if i add a 10" sub to it? so i will have a 10" sub and 12" sub both working to make the same bass lines

i understand that the smaller sub can recoil quicker and produce a more "punchy" sound for the dance tracks.

but what happens when different sub sizes are in the same system?
can they work together or does the SQ fall apart?
does anyone have different size subs in their system?

cheers in advance

They will have different response curves etc, if you want quality this is not the way to go. If you want random loudness it would do something, but is something I would avoid. 12" subs are great when installed correctly, but todays car stereo seems to be getting forever more inefficient.. with the need for ever more powerfull car amps. Bring back decent high efficiency 90+db/m subs (im sure there are still some out there somewhere)

It can be done using subs of different sizes, but it involves a hell of a lot of work which is not for anyone without adavnced understanding of what's going on.

If you're after more bass then look at running another 12" or porting the 12" you already have.

ive got the Vibe CBR12 Active and thats got a turbo port on it. IN the car with boot shut it sound mint! but when boots open it distorts too much but if you seal the box it sounds better than a ported box with boot open.

Andy_S said:
ive got the Vibe CBR12 Active and thats got a turbo port on it. IN the car with boot shut it sound mint! but when boots open it distorts too much but if you seal the box it sounds better than a ported box with boot open.

That's because the box is designed for a small volume/environment in order to perform its best. i.e. when in a car.

You dont normally listen to a subwoofer in the car with your boot open, so of course its not going to sound good as it changes all its parameters :laugh:.

If you want it to be louder, try sitting in the car and opening one window a few inches, it can make the whole car into a 'ported box' and sound ace if done right :upside:

thanks for the input . didnt think it wud work

cheers

interesting idea about opening the window retepetsir

yes it will work and very well... i have the system in my install..... i have a 10" Vibe CBR active in one side and an audio bahn 12" in the other.... both in custom leather enclosures... i have them running through a fusion line driver and a fusion equiliser. i can tune wich sub fires at what frequency and it sounds awesome.... its just a matter of know how realy....:glance:

and i have just read it.....sony?...please mya i ask why...after working in an audio shop for nearly 5 years now....i can safely say.... please....unless its DVD......never ever go any where near sony Xchav...er. X-plod......for the simple fact that they are rubbish.....

not that im getting at you or anything. i mean i bet your system sounds great.....but not compared to one made up entirely of alpine for instance...

or a heard of stampeeding wildebeast

Sorry, I'm a little dubious about this 8 subs in a K10 now if it was a higher spec brand it would be more feasable as it may be a dedicated sound install.

So sorry, no go for me on this one till there's photo's

Sorry, I'm a little dubious about this 8 subs in a K10 now if it was a higher spec brand it would be more feasable as it may be a dedicated sound install.

So sorry, no go for me on this one till there's photo's

what happened there?

Back