PDA Stereo System in a Micra - Will it Work?

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
I'm planning on removing my curent stereo and replaceing with a PDA which will hold all my music etc in two 4GB Cards. I can only assume that my PDA won't power all 4 of my speakers in my car.

If I wired the Tiny Ear Phone Jack into an Amplifier then to my speakers would this work?

/ Ear Phone Jack Left ------> Amp In ------> Amp Out > Left Speakers
PDA
\ Ear Phone Jack Right -----> Amp In ------> Amp Out > Right Speakers

I hope this is can be understood as I have never owned an Amp before. I will also assume there is 12+/- inputs as well.

Speakers I have are 2 x Standard Issue Door Speakers and 2 x MutantX 300W Parcel Shelf Speakers.

I'm planning on removing my curent stereo and replaceing with a PDA which will hold all my music etc in two 4GB Cards. I can only assume that my PDA won't power all 4 of my speakers in my car.

If I wired the Tiny Ear Phone Jack into an Amplifier then to my speakers would this work?

/ Ear Phone Jack Left ------> Amp In ------> Amp Out > Left Speakers
PDA
\ Ear Phone Jack Right -----> Amp In ------> Amp Out > Right Speakers

I hope this is can be understood as I have never owned an Amp before. I will also assume there is 12+/- inputs as well.

Speakers I have are 2 x Standard Issue Door Speakers and 2 x MutantX 300W Parcel Shelf Speakers.

Sounds Like a Plan Batman (Y), Sure Other People Would Know More About Audio Systems Though.

Cheers mate, I remember doing something similar using a Logic soundsystem fro the PS2 but it needed 18v and I ended up knacking the woofer which had the Amp inside. Surely it should be the same though using a car Amp.

Why not just use a 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA cable, and get an amp with RCA inputs, like most of them?

Then you run a +12v to the amp, an earth from the amp, and seperate wiring for each of the speakers?

Do you plan on binning the headunit, and solely having a PDA, or keeping the headunit, and running the PDA through that?

Cheers for the info guys, I didn't realise the Amps have RCA inputs as Isaid before I don't really know much about Amps, lol.

Yeah the Head unit is going, it was a cheapy off ebay and didn't work as well as it should. The Head unit is at work as we are testing it with out E'Can inverters as out newest one that isn't out yet will have a transmitter for you MP3, iPOD's which saves you wiring.

Works fine I have done it,but sometimes the PDA chargers can cause interference.

Cheers Ed, is that interference with the Amp? Would that depend on how close the two are together?

The PDA I'm getting the battery is knacked, requires permanent power feed to stay on, that's why I'm getting it off my DAD, I'm also going to look for the SatNav addon on ebay once I find out all the details.

Also Funnily enough I have come across a HIP 9v portable Amp for a guitar, speaker built in. Don't think it'll work though, lol.

Youll just have to see its down to the quality of the charger to be honest.

True, true. Well watch this space won't be happening for a couple of weeks, but I will be getting the PDA Saturday. as well as standard Photoshop Pro, none of this silly PSE.

Personally, I think you'd be better of getting the PDA, and a headunit, with a 3.5mm jack or RCA in round the back of the headunit so you can hide the wires and make it a bit neater. Not for sound quality, but more for ease of use. My experience of owning 2 or 3 PDA's is they're a bit clumsy to use, and I can't imagine trying to change tracks, or change the volume on one is the easiest thing whilst driving, unless you had it mounted right up near your hand, and a glanace away from the windscreen.

I suppose you do have a good point there, what I was going to do is try and mount the centre console so it just sits there so you won't see any wires. I'm not really one for changing tracks all the time, my other half is, always skipping, lol.

Back