1.3 Manual averaging 32mpg?

Hi folks,

My 1.3 k11 manual has averaged 32mpg since I got it. That's a mixture of motorway and city driving. Seems pretty low to me, tyres are at the right pressures and the car seems to run ok.

Any thoughts on why it could be down are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi folks,

My 1.3 k11 manual has averaged 32mpg since I got it. That's a mixture of motorway and city driving. Seems pretty low to me, tyres are at the right pressures and the car seems to run ok.

Any thoughts on why it could be down are greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Must be something wrong, I get a steady 39 mpg with a lot of motorway miles in a 1 litre at 4000 rpm. And giving people lifts while doing that.

Must be something wrong, I get a steady 39 mpg with a lot of motorway miles in a 1 litre at 4000 rpm. And giving people lifts while doing that.

I'm thinking o2 sensor but at 35 quid to find out it's a full tank of fuel that it would need to save over the time I own the car.

you can tap into the middle o2 wire for a live signal, here shows it closed looping, then .9v at full throttle, then 0v at lift

Wonderful thanks Frank, how did you manage to route the cable into the car!

Hopefully the sensor will give a duff reading and a replacement will make a big difference.

Wonderful thanks Frank, how did you manage to route the cable into the car!

Hopefully the sensor will give a duff reading and a replacement will make a big difference.
its just 1 temporary wire mate. through the window ? and a chassis earth

in neutral will suffice but not ideal, and the sensor has to warm up to give a signal, and the coolant needs to be up to temp for the ecu to close loop properly

in neutral will suffice but not ideal, and the sensor has to warm up to give a signal, and the coolant needs to be up to temp for the ecu to close loop properly

Hmm just a passing thought that you've prompted Frank. The car takes a long while to get up to temp and the heater is luke warm really. I wonder if perhaps it never quite/rarely reaches full temp and thus the engine is running rich because the ECU isn't going closed loop?

Hmm just a passing thought that you've prompted Frank. The car takes a long while to get up to temp and the heater is luke warm really. I wonder if perhaps it never quite/rarely reaches full temp and thus the engine is running rich because the ECU isn't going closed loop?
possibly mate, here is the afr/mixture (bottom blue line) when i forced the ecu into coldstart, and the lines above it when closed looping
i forced my daily driver out of coldstart early by running 2 x coolant temp sensors in parallel (iirc) and that got the ecu closed looping within about 1 mile from cold

Attachments

• SDC11787.JPG
    SDC11787.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 198
possibly mate, here is the afr/mixture (bottom blue line) when i forced the ecu into coldstart, and the lines above it when closed looping
i forced my daily driver out of coldstart early by running 2 x coolant temp sensors in parallel (iirc) and that got the ecu closed looping within about 1 mile from cold

That's really interesting, I might even find some horses then!

Things to check to heat the car up quicker? I'm thinking thermostat or perhaps a coolant change ?

aye, new stat and i always run a radiator blind midwinter, but dont expect high mpg from a k11 tho, the only time mine was frugal was with a high comp engine at a steady 60 mph

aye, new stat and i always run a radiator blind midwinter, but dont expect high mpg from a k11 tho, the only time mine was frugal was with a high comp engine at a steady 60 mph

I'll give those a go. I don't expect miracles but if I can turn 32mpg into say 35mpg and a better heater I'd class that as time well spent.

I'll give those a go. I don't expect miracles but if I can turn 32mpg into say 35mpg and a better heater I'd class that as time well spent.

My 1.3 does 40+ mpg, usually around 46 mpg but I don't drive that hard these days, perhaps I'd dip into high 30's if I drove hard. How do you drive yours?

Back