1.0 with no heat from fan - not thermostat - help please!

Hi all,

I bought my daughter a K12 1.0 E to learn to drive in last night. I took it on a test drive and noticed that the blue coolant light stayed on and the blowers were not hot. I had a look and the coolant was still original (53 plate, Jan 04), so I negotiated a discount and happily made my way home knowing I would have to drain the system and replace the thermostat, which I did this afternoon. The blue light now goes off after a few minutes (-3 right now where we are), so that went well.Unfortunately, I noticed the fan is still blowing luke warm at best. I had a scan through a number of threads and decided to have a look at the pollen filter, and this car doesn't have one. So, I have left the glovebox strewn across the car and resorted to this!

So, can anyone help please? Could it be the heater matrix? Something else? How can I find out?

I am far from a mechanic, but have done basic maintenance for a while, so nothing too technical please!

Thanks for any help.

the rad should,nt see any flow till the engine is up to temp (ie, when the stat opens) the only coolant flow when cold is around the heater circuit (the 2 smaller pipes that go through the bulkhead and into the cabin)

Hello again Frank.

It's bloody cold here, but I have just been out to the wee car to have a look.

I started the car, popped the bonnet, grabbed some gloves and had a look. I spotted the two hoses at the back of the engine bay and gave them a squeeze. The flow was warm, return cold, but I could feel a little trickle running through the return pipe. I gave the flow a couple of squeezes and it seemed to get a little warmer. So, I did it a few times again and then it just seemed to clear a blockage and the pipe was hot. I checked inside the car and the once luke warm air was now hot! Apparently a blockage in the heater matrix somewhere.

I'm absolutely delighted and want to thank you for your help Frank!

On to the next issue of an interior light with what seems to be a loose connection as it works intermittently....then a service and trying to find where they've hidden the spark plugs on the wee car!

Hello again Frank.

It's bloody cold here, but I have just been out to the wee car to have a look.

I started the car, popped the bonnet, grabbed some gloves and had a look. I spotted the two hoses at the back of the engine bay and gave them a squeeze. The flow was warm, return cold, but I could feel a little trickle running through the return pipe. I gave the flow a couple of squeezes and it seemed to get a little warmer. So, I did it a few times again and then it just seemed to clear a blockage and the pipe was hot. I checked inside the car and the once luke warm air was now hot! Apparently a blockage in the heater matrix somewhere.

I'm absolutely delighted and want to thank you for your help Frank!

On to the next issue of an interior light with what seems to be a loose connection as it works intermittently....then a service and trying to find where they've hidden the spark plugs on the wee car!
My interior light is the same,if you remove the light fitting from the roof lining,its a ball on the opposite side of the switch that touches 3 different pins as you toggle the switch. Its usually the pins have bent out too far or something similar,just bend them about a bit and it should be fine again. Mine still plays up on an off,but usually a tap or thump on the light gets it working again haha

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

My interior light is the same,if you remove the light fitting from the roof lining,its a ball on the opposite side of the switch that touches 3 different pins as you toggle the switch. Its usually the pins have bent out too far or something similar,just bend them about a bit and it should be fine again. Mine still plays up on an off,but usually a tap or thump on the light gets it working again haha

As for the spark plugs,haynes manual is a god send. Just be careful removing the bolts for the air housing,as where the join the inlet manifold can be awkward,dont tighten them up too much when refitting

Thanks, I'll give it a bash at the weekend.

Just taken it to get it's first fill up and the fuel pipe neck is corroded away. Having searched on here it seems a very common problem. Not impressed! I had the car MOT'd and while it passed without any advisories it seems that the filler neck should have been an issue for the test.

Having serviced it (not plugs as I didn't have the time or indeed the parts) it was a pain to get the oil filter off and replaced. I thought it was a sound buy, but I'm struggling to feel the love for it this now. My other daughter has a Yaris and it has been very straight forward to do any servicing and not a spot of corrosion on it despite it being older and higher mileage. I may have to let this wee Micra go and invest my money in Toyota's equivalent. I'll make back my money on time saved and a filler neck/potentially paying someone to do the spark plugs.

Back