Micra overheating no fan

Mrs drove car in last hour for 10 mins parked up went for a stroll with kids came and drove back home when parked up brother in law was outside and kids said they smelt a funny smell and the car from engine bay area was making a gurgling sound (the sound the washing machine makes as the little one described)

Checked the water level and it was showing just under max, i ran the car for 10 seconds then switched off went to the front and noticed the coolant was now just under the min mark. Topped up and took car for a 15 min drive needle stayed well below half way mark as it always has, got home parked up switched engine off then on again coola t still at just under max after 10 mins the needle moved to the first pic and then after 12 mins second pic just slightly more. In both readings the radiator fan did not kick in, does the fan only kick in when it goes close to the red or should it have come on well before my readings. I thought it could have been a sticky thermostat.

All help appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG1697.jpg
    IMAG1697.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 151
  • IMAG1698.jpg
    IMAG1698.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
Still no luck on what the issue could be, cannot seem to find any info on when the fan should kick in when the needle gets to a certain position.

Fan should cut in sooner than this.
check the wiring to the sensor and the fan.
if you can send a feed to the fan directly you can test it separately to make sure it’s working.

Fan should cut in sooner than this.
check the wiring to the sensor and the fan.
if you can send a feed to the fan directly you can test it separately to make sure it’s working.
Is that the radiator temp sensor and the fan wiring need to be checked trying to unclip the radiator hrey clip bit not sure how to

Attachments

• IMAG1705.jpg
    IMAG1705.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 166
That’s the one to start with, the ecu controls the fan switching and would trigger an engine warning light if the sensor has failed.
to test it you will need to disconnect that block, attach a 12v supply to the fan on the solid blue (+) and solid black (-).
if it works then the relay would be the next point, just swap it out for a new one as they aren that expensive.
if that’s not sorting it then the wiring itself will be at fault.
remember that these cars are getting on a bit now, corroded connections can also give you issues.
might be worth getting a manual, that’s where I have found the above information.

Back