1.0 Gearbox new vs old

B

bubblemonster

I think I have screwed up. My '96 1.0 needs a new gearbox and I bought one from a local breaker. It's from a very low mileage 2000 1.0 but, now that I have read the messages here, it appears this is the wrong one - I think I'm right in saying that they swapped to the 1.3 gearbox in '98?

The question is, is it practical to fit this newer gearbox? I believe the differences may include:

* driveshafts
* clutch diameter and size/number of splines on gearbox input shaft
* speedo drive (manual vs electronic, and different size anyway)
* mounting points

It seems to me that I have to look for a pre '98 gearbox, but the problem then is that it will probably have the same weaknesses as mine.

Has anyone fitted a post 98 gearbox to a pre 98 1.0 engine?
Would anyone like to buy a believed-good recent gearbox?
Does anyone have a good pre-98 1.0 gearbox for sale?

Thanks in advance.

The 2000 model micra gearbox won't fit as the starter motor is mounted in a different place, however the internals will fit directly in your old casing thus fitting old casing new internals. mind you i think the 2000 gearbox was mean't to be slightly better but that may be a myth or not noticably better. Hope this helps a little, did it come with the fly wheel for the 2000 model that is better than the older ones so keep hold of that what ever you decide. its the same size as the 1.3 but lighter so make it easier when wanting a better clutch.

Back