1.3 + 1.0 gearbox

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
Im sorry if its been covered but here goes. I have a very good 1.3 engine trouble is no gearbox, now is there very much differance between the 1.0 and 1.3 gearboxes. My 1,0 gearbox has done 82 thou but is sweet so is there any major draw backs with using the 1.0 gearbox PLUS the dreaded ecu unit I can get the 1.3 ecu but there aint much point as its pre nats or nats 1 not sure and mine is nats 2 so it wouldnt power up in any case but could the 1.3 run ok with the 1.0 ecu in place, would it be running richer or leaner or might it be just fine. I can also get the 1.3 driveshafts discs calipers......but no box i think also i read that the flywheel has to be changed over if retaining the 1.0 gearbox am i wrong or not.

What years are the boxes and engine, if it's pre 98, then you will need to swap theclutch and flywheel from the 1l to the 1l engine, if post 98, then you will have no worries.

It would run ok, not perfectly, but ok. The ecu relies on what the engine tells it so if it is getting the other engines readings it will adapt.
As for the gearbox, I think the ratios are similar enough so you should get a good pull away but your top speed wont be anything special.

The 1l ECU runs slightly righer, will make no real noticeable difference whi ch one you use.

As for the gearbox, I think the ratios are similar enough so you should get a good pull away but your top speed wont be anything special.

i thought that the 1.0 box doesnt fit on a 1.3? as that the shafts are diffrent thus meaning the boxes are diffrent does it not?

and yes you can use the cg10 ecu with a cg13 engine as swiper and richmicratwista have done.

Im not sure, I tend to leave major work like that alone, lol. I think pre 98 you need to use the same clutch and flywheel from the engine but after that they are the same.

BOTH are pre 98 and changing the clutch and flywheel is no problem when its out anyway it would add maybe 45 mins to the job so the drive shafts would be retained. The top speed issue isint really one as where i live there is only 2 roads any decent speed could be made, as long as the engine runs ok that was my main concern and its been answered so thanx guys will get onto this and swap them out maybe in a weeks time.

Go fairly easy with it, though, the two other people on here who did this swap wrecked their 1l boxes and sold up.

i know of a 99 micra in scrap yard so if its worth getting i might see what the gearbox is like from that as i think someone said the face lift boxes are all the same....

I can also get the 1.3 driveshafts discs calipers.

you won't need the 1.3 discs and caliper as these are the same on all k11's.

i know of a 99 micra in scrap yard so if its worth getting i might see what the gearbox is like from that as i think someone said the face lift boxes are all the same....

they arn't the same, the ratios are different, but they bolt up the same, use the same selector rod and use the same 180mm clutch as the 1.3. it would be a much better box than a pre-facelift box, but you'll still need the 1.3 driveshafts. which should fit straight into your hubs (well they did on my facelift).
and why your at it, takes the fly off the '99 k11 as they are the same clutch, but the fly is nearly 2kg's lighter, than the 1.3 fly, also the crank pully is 0.8kg's lighter. and i can confirm that thse fit as i have these on my 1.3;)

The 1.3 shafts won't fit onto your pre-98 hubs, I'm almost certain of that and if you are changing from a 1l to 1.3 box then you will need to do a bit of rewiring and put a new mount in.

Back