HELP Lock barrel info needed asap

hi,

My car was stolen into and the ####### took my deck!!! lucky no damage accept the lock barrel to the passengers side which has been chipped into how easy is it to replace it by myself and any places where i can get 1 from cheap with key?

thanks, how easy is it is it easy to take out the door panels from the inside could u guide me of the best way of taking it off safely any1 please and i can get a lock with key maybe but is that all i need its just a round barrel with a clip kind thing. thanks guys

Door panels are easy, few screws to take out around the handles , if you have leccy windows you need to prise the armrest top off first, and prise the interior door lock plastic surround off rest is just plastic popper clips they pull out.

Don't replace it just smooth the hole, it's not worth the cost as you have to replace the whole set otherwise the key wont match

micraboy

an option is to get another barrel and pull the middle out, then file the tumbler,s down (with your key inserted)

thanks guys 4 quick info, i can get the lock and key at ok cost from salvage yard just dont want to leave it since its just leaving it open again to break in.

I dont care about the extra key anyway as mainly use drivers side anyway just want that extra security. so i know few off u say it is an easy task therefore might attempt it. the guy is selling the lock which has this kind of clip on so is it a matter of taking panel apart and fixing the new lock back to the rod mecanism. also if u guys know of a forum thread where this is done then please guide if so. regards

p.s franks idea is gud what do u mean gud u give me a set suide i know its simple but still dont understand lol

micraboy

i dont remember doing a k11, but on other cars i,ve taken the barrel out, then took the clip off and withdrew the inner bit out (with your key inserted, else the tumblers fly out) and you,ll see which tumblers dont match your key (they will stand proud), so you file the ones that stick out (so that the key will turn)

frank that is a damn good idea lol, or do what i did replaced yer i have a spare key but i put in remote central locking so i dont use the keys :p

ok, so ill try franks option first as could save money and keep same key. so i need to go to scrap yard and get a barrel from another micra what kind of money shall i give i know its cheap maybe few quid if possible or free!

with this small barrel just follow your instructions. ill let u know how i get on..

hi,

My car was stolen into and the ####### took my deck!!! lucky no damage accept the lock barrel to the passengers side which has been chipped into how easy is it to replace it by myself and any places where i can get 1 from cheap with key?

haha (My car was stolen in to):grinning:

advise on locks

finnaly got hold of some spare locks so frank need your guidance!

do i take the clip off the back off the lock and when u say tumblers are them the things in the middle in silver coating and do they need filing from the top with key inserted but will this mean only my key will work no 1 elses

micraboy

yeh, is there a circlip on the end ?, on some cars you have to prise the outer cover off, then clinch it back on after.
just shove your key in, and draw the core out, then you,ll see which tumbler,s need filing to suit your key

ok m8 thanks ill have a try 1 question i have the right lock and the left but will they only work on the side they are meant for as they look the same? what kind of file can i use what did u use?

i cant get the middle core out it moves around with tumblers in is there a way to take it out. the clip has come off etc but tried with key inserted and without but tuff do get out? maybe need to use wd40 or sumthing

micraboy

i think you,ll have to prise the chrome cover off (carefully flare the outer edge) then clinch the edge back down after

cheers m8,

so prise open the cover which holds the tumblers shall i prise it from the back where it was held with the clip and just prise it until the tumblers come out or shall i prise the whole cover? what tool did u use?

p.s the cover do u mean the front bit where key is inserted or the metal cover which holds the tumblers

micraboy

like i say, i dont remember doing a k10/11, but on most car,s i have had to work my way around the outer edge of the cover, to flare the lip back (without kinking it), then tap it back over with a plastic handle after (if you butcher it off, it,ll look like a bag of chisle,s :wasntme: )

Back