K12 Ignition barrel/Steering lock/Start problem

Hi there, I've seem some guys suffering ignition barrel/steering lock/start problem here,now it comes to me. I have a 1.2se keyless 53reg Micra, the steering lock is getting stick(I think it's steering lock), it's so difficult to release steering lock, it feels like something stuck inside I almost can't turn the key knob to releae the steering lock, after that it's no problem at all. yesterday I gave it half an hour to get my car start in Sainsbury car park, almost gave up, finally I got it start.grr

after I went back home, I took look inside the steering wheel and took some pictures, as you can see the pictures nothing I can do with it, the ignition barrel/steering lock assembly is sealed.:suspect:

before I seem this I was thinking WD40 may help:blush:, there is no place for it or put it straight in the ignition barrel:wasntme:.

any help would be very appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

just came back from a independent garage I usual to, the mechanic told me nothing they can help a car with a mart key system like Micra has, I need to go dealer, crying:(

Superben

Agree with you comments, I took the covers off too to see if I could get access, the only option is to drill out the sheer bolts (not a great idea).

I suggest you do NOT use WD40.... it may make matters worse.

See my other post, I think I've fixed my issue:

From reading elsewhere, the problem seems to be that as the lock wears, it causes the internal comonents to stick/bind.

The components inside are probably brass, and alloy and it is best not to lubricate these metals with a 'wet' lubricant. Lock smiths us graphite powder, to lubricate locks, if you look on eBay, you'll find it, I found some by CK the lock people, from Grundys Ironmongers in Kirkham (01772 682812).

I also purchased some spray air dusters (eBay), then blew out the lock, then blew in some graphite powder .....squirted powder in the blow it in with the duster, not as messy as it sounds, but you don't want to be getting graphite dust everywhere.

Anyway..... so far, it seems to have resolved the problem. Previously it could take anything from 5 seconds to 10 minutes to get it to turn, by various wiggles of the switch and rocking of the wheel.

It may work for you..... good luck

PS.... Do not use WD40 and I will try to force some graphite into the other exposed areas (such as the plunger attached to the black lock button.... for good measure. My other though was to try and force the graphite dust in via a spray cleaning solvent, but the air seemed to do it.

Chris

Many thanks Chris, I'll give it a try tomorrow if I can get those things.

I failed to start my Micra this afternoon, the lock is stuck, tried half an hour then gave up, totally cant turn the key knob to release the steering lock and steering wheel got locked, I gonna try it a bit later when the temperature is cool down.

still cant turn the key knob at the night, now I think I have figured out something here but not really sure. the key barrel/ignition switch they could be fine, only faulty one is the steering lock switch, because either I use metal key or keyless to turn the key knob, it won't turn, if it can turn to first position after that it will be all ok.

I just dont know these whole thing are a single unit or not, if one goes wrong all need to be replaced.

so I am thinking of to take the steering wheel off and take that unit off, then I can see what's going on in there, but I am afraid if I disconnect the battery terminals I wont able to start the car again, because of it's smart key system, is anyone sure about that?

Are you sure you used graphite powder?

As I said, you could simply not turn it sometimes, and it was ALWAYS taking significant effort and time to move it.

Nissan said the only option was to replace the lock at circa £400, but told me to try a locksmith..... Locksmiths use graphite powder in locks, you should NOT use a wet lubricant as it will cause the metal dust that you get from normal lock wear to combine and make the internals 'stick'.

It has been perfect ever since, its my daughters Car and she can start it every time now, mostly first time (it used to take her ages and she's often give up).

Chris

Back