Ignition inner barrel worn after starting with a screwdriver. Advice needed, thanks

I have an m reg micra and the key snapped in the barrel some time ago, i took off the metal barrel and have been starting it daily with a screwdriver. I have worn out the inner plastic bit where the barrel goes, not recomeneded i know

Anyway.....i need to get it up to mot condition.

Am i able to get a replacement barrel and the white plactic unit (see photo) that the key mechanism fits into and how much am i looking at to buy it from a breakers or similar ?? Its just a basic key one im after and not immobiliser or alarm key fob

photo below of my cars worn barrel
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k255/stin74/car/DSCF2884.jpg

any useful advice on replacement and a rough price to buy second hand is appreciated

can u pull the remaining key out the barrel with tweezers or strong magnet?

the steering lock & barrel is secured onto the steering column with shear bolts.
may be able it undo em using a centre punch.

when you can grab a spare set of steering lock, door & boot lock barrel with keys, u can secure the barrel onto the steering column either with new shear bolts from online or with any bolt but not advisable.

plastic ignition switch can grab from any k11 in scrappy, they're all the same

can u pull the remaining key out the barrel with tweezers or strong magnet?

the steering lock & barrel is secured onto the steering column with shear bolts.
may be able it undo em using a centre punch.

when you can grab a spare set of steering lock, door & boot lock barrel with keys, u can secure the barrel onto the steering column either with new shear bolts from online or with any bolt but not advisable.

plastic ignition switch can grab from any k11 in scrappy, they're all the same

The other barrel has been chicked out, i tried to get the end of teh key out and it wasnt moving. Im not gonna bother changing the locks in the car, will just use 2 different keys, one for the barrel and one for the door locks etc

So i should be able to get a plastic bit of the barrel in my pic as well as the metal barrrel

Is the plastic barrel bit easy to remove? Has anyone done it on here ?

yep. take all the plastic cowel off and unscrew the switch off the back of the key barrel. the small screw is abit awquid to access but do-able.
or just remove the steering lock assembly off the spare cars steering column if ya gonna do that anyway so u dont have to remove the ign switch

Back