GA16 Throttle Bodies

mph

Official MSC Trader
How many people are using the GA16 throttle body on the Micra and how successfull have you found them? Need to know the good and bad points if possible. Has anyone modified the inside and found it still works ok?
Thanks

Matt

I have a GA16 engine sitting in my lock up. I'll bolt the TB on to mine and see how it runs if you wish?

Could give you an estimated 0-60 before and after, idling issues, setting up issues etc.

If you get no other responses that is.

Thanks people, keep the info coming please. Reason for asking we have a new engine being built for the wide track rally car, 1348cc block with a distributor head. We are using the inlet manifold from the CGA engine with 1.8 Primera injectors. I assumed the old style mass air flow meter would fit but the fuel rail gets in the way so I'm looking into an alternative and the GA16 unit is my best bet. The car will be remapped and I think I have found away around air bleed idle adjustment.

The other advantage is it has a bigger throttle valve. Has anyone removed part of the inside of the air flow meter just leaving the hot wire pick up in place? Just a thought..

Matt, if this is going on new ecu, why not drop the MAF and use a MAP sensor instead?

I think Matt's still using the Pectel ecu from the good old NME days Ed. I'm not sure what it's capabilities are.....

I did run a GA16 throttlebody on a CG13 engine once. Setting up the idle wasn't too much of a problem without the AAC valve. With regard to the fuel rail being in the way, I modified the throttle hanger to clear the injectors and did away with the idle control all together, (removed and blanked it off). the car however was never mapped to take advantage of this, so no gains were proven. If you are using a later inlet manifold with top feed fuel injectors, then this could be another issue.

With regard to the hotwire pickup on the standard CG engines, cutting the element down, if that's what you mean Matt, renders it pretty useless. The MAF bar is hollow and air flows directly through and around the element.....there's a small gap for air bleed between the plastic unit and the throttlebody wall.

I don't know what the gains of this are for most of the MSC who run a standard engine, but I would imagine the sort of power you are pushing, 140hp, it would be worth persuing.

Ecu wise, that's why I got Ed to order me an Omex, so I can take any tack I like with regard to MAF, MAP or Alpha-N mapping.

You don't need to modify the loom to use a 1.6 TB necessarily, as you can run the car without AAC if setup properly. You do however need to have the car re-tuned to make it work properly.

has anyone got pictures and how to,s for modding the micra harness to use with 1.6 tb....

you know that valve, that controls the fast Idle, if you unbolt that whole unit, (not just the solonoid but the other part too, and stick a plate over it and seal it. then you have to connect up the water system to the side pipe. its near this plunger thing below the throttle. that should get round it

Well like i said you would be changing the ECU, which wont match the KEY if you have NATS fitted. There for not working. If your doesnt have nats the 1.6 ECU will be better with the 1.6 TB for fuelling etc...

No it wouldn't!

A re-map would be the ideal solution for changing the TB. The GA16 ECU is designed to work with a whole GA16 engine.

Having a CG with GA TB along with the 1.6 ECU would not be ideal

Thanks everyone for the feed back. I will first try the GA throttle body on its own in a standard (well nearly standard) Micra and work from there to see what happens. I need to get moving as the replacement engine has arrived and needs fitting and running in before it gets mapped.

good luck, if you end up having to make some needle valves to replace the fast idle i am sure they will sell here. or at least i will have one :D

will the needle valve fit from a carb or has it to be home made.....

na this is just a bolt, look under the bonnet of any Ga16 Primera, and some of the TB's will have a bolt and some of them will have this electronic valve thing. if you can find the bolt then you are sorted.

picked this up this morning for 1.6 conversion im hoping that i can run it on a micra loom so any info regarding this would be a great help if its no good then if anyone wants to buy it thats ok for what i paid plus postage....

Attachments

• ABCD0001.JPG
    ABCD0001.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 788
  • ABCD0002.JPG
    ABCD0002.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,185
  • ABCD0003.JPG
    ABCD0003.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,573
picked this up this morning for 1.6 conversion im hoping that i can run it on a micra loom so any info regarding this would be a great help if its no good then if anyone wants to buy it thats ok for what i paid plus postage....

you see the solonoid with the purple plug. that is the bit you are trying to replace with a bolt. if you see any primeras with a bolt where that thing is then get the bolt. :)

cool what about the rest of wireing as plugs are not the same are they...wouldnt care the other one i left had the bolt in there

cool what about the rest of wireing as plugs are not the same are they...wouldnt care the other one i left had the bolt in there

as far as i know the other wireing is all there you just have to splice the plugs on

I've got the same TB as shown on the picture above. You say replace the purple solonoid with a bolt. The only thing left is the brown plug.... But this one has only 2 wires, as the idle connector on my CG13 has a 5 wire-connector.

How do you connect this? And how will the idle run? Soon I'll put Emanage inside the car. I guess this will make modifications as this a lot more simpel.

gr Chrismo

i think the 1.6 t/b uses ( 2 wire ) solenoids for idle control, and the CG, s use a ( 3 wire ) stepper motor (it looks to me like the pink is the +v feed, and the other 2 are neg (-) signal wires from the ecu) this is why i cut mine off and have a knob on the dash :).
if your e-manage has no alternative idle control, you could maybe attach the CG idle stepper motor/valve to the 1.6 t/b (either directly, or remotely, via a pipe)

Only the CGA has a stepper motor.

in that case then..... going by the CG/GA wiring diag,s, the brown/yellow CG wire seems to tie up with the light blue GA wire (pinout # 113 on the ecu), and the pink CG wire with the brown GA wire :)

cut off the purple and brown things on the front of the tb and blank the holes off with plates. ive done this, you can use the 2 other connections and the idle can be adjusted from the screw at the front

Back