You will soon not be able to own a car that is not insured

superls

K10 Tuner
Just herd on the radio on the way to work that some new scheme potentially being launched where if you own a car it has to be insured, even if its off the road and you don't drive it.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, but it was only the headline and didn't hear the full article, but what a load of balls.

anyone else herd about it?

discuss.

Yeah, there is a bit more to it than the radio has been reporting - it's called Continuous Insurance Enforcement, it basically means if you own a car that is NOT SORNed and not insured, you will be liable to a fine or if you ignore the warnings, getting the car siezed.

It's a load of crap really, for anyone that wants to have a car for occasional use, you'd have to keep buying 6 months tax and then getting it refunded when you don't want to drive the car any more!

It's supposed to clamp down on uninsured drivers, but tbh if there's people not paying for insurance, the likelihood is they won't be paying road tax either so won't get any of these penalties!

More info: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696

what an excellent way for the dvla to loose millions of pounds in revenue.

The systems broken anyway...perfect example is when they catch people driving without insurance, road tax and no driving license they give them a fine (which is basically nothing in comparison) and put points on their license. Which would be the one they dont own and never planned on getting in the first place. Genius.

What would be reason for it? I have not insured my car full but I have used third party insurance. It is really cheaper to me, will fully insure once I get my things done.

Back