Wiring up a rev counter for a K10

Hi guys ive got an old retro rev counter and ive sussed out which wire is which but not sure where to run the feed from, ive tried the coil but doesn't seem to work.

The rev counter is quite old but assuming it works, is there anywhere else I can run the feed from? Or would there already be the wiring in place behind the dash?

Mine's a 1984 1.0 if it makes any difference.

Cheers.

i have also a prefacelift micra 1987. I don't get the rev counter to work, because the coil is a different one than the coils after 1989. I have no clue where else I can put the rev counter signal.

Is aLLeKs right about the differnet coils? ive tried it both sides of the coil but no joy, there isn't any wiring hidden behind the dash for it already is there?

eh? k10 shed? can you explain please.

If you have the postive connected to live, neg connect to earth and the signal wire connected to the neg side of the coil it should work. If not then the rev guage is broke.

Ok forget connecting anything it's all about the year of the car 1984 is old skool

Old cars had a positive earth not negative earth like todays cars. Forget wiring a negative earth gauge to his car as it wont work. Thats it! google it you will see what i mean (Y)

I know, I had a 1964 vauxhall viva that I converted to negative earth. I thought a 1984 would be too new for a positve earth system. fwn

Ive been reading about 'positive earth coils' and from what i can gather theyre no different to 'negative earth coils.' All you do is swap the terminals around when converting. As all a coil is, is some windings that get turned on and off by the poihts, unless im missing something.

But tach's cannot be swapped over without a little work as shown by a lotus cortina site:
http://www.lotus-cortina.com/electric/convert.htm

I know, I had a 1964 vauxhall viva that I converted to negative earth. I thought a 1984 would be too new for a positve earth system. fwn

Ive just looked at the manual 1983-1993 and itsays nothing of any positive earth so i think your right

Micras must all be negative earth :doh: :blush:

Um positive earth really? Yes old cars had but micras don't they are all negative earth . Maybe novasteves rev counter is positive earth as he says its old

The coils ARE 100% DIFFERENT. the negative wire does not work for the old micras. I tried to wire up the original super s rev counter and it simply doesn't work. to get this work you have to change the coils.

Yes the rev counter ive got actually came out of a mk2 cortina, its not a ford one but looked very period.

That would be why then lol, the car and coil are negative earth, but the rev guage is a positive earth. Have a look at that link I gave you and see if its the same as there is a guide on how to make it neg earth.

The coils ARE 100% DIFFERENT. the negative wire does not work for the old micras. I tried to wire up the original super s rev counter and it simply doesn't work. to get this work you have to change the coils.

when you mean the coils are 100% different, are you talking about -ve earth and +ve earth coils? Ive just wired in my super s rev counter straight to the -ve side (points side) and it worked fine.

ok I show you which coil I've got. And I tried every wire!

Attachments

• Foto0025.jpg
    Foto0025.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 1,057
Looks the same as the one on my 92 although I know they aren't the same. Having looked at the wiring diagram for the points ignition system I can't see why it won't work the coils are wired up almost identicaly except that on one the - goes to the points then to earth and the other goes to ic then earth. I can't see how it can't work. I've seen a 85 micra with super s dial working. Aleks you sure the rev counter works on them? I bought a set and found out after spending ages with wiring the rev counter was broke and did nowt

I'm pretty busy at the moment, but in September I will have a look and messure arround. If I connect the signal wire to the negative side of the coil and start the engine the revcounter is shaking once and that's all.

I'm pretty busy at the moment, but in September I will have a look and messure arround. If I connect the signal wire to the negative side of the coil and start the engine the revcounter is shaking once and that's all.

you have wired them in correctly and have got the positive and negative the right way around? but it sounds as if the rev guage is broke.

Back