Rev counter wiring help on K10

Hi,

I have been thinking of wiring up a rev counter for a while on my K10 and I wanted to know which wire I need to tap off to get a reading. I know how the ignition system works on the micra but i'd like to be sure before i go about tapping off signals. I had a look at the coil which provides the high voltage and it has one wire which i believe comes from the ignition key (green with black lines) and one that goes into the distributor cap (i think its blue). i believe the blue wire creates a pulsing signal (opening and closing a circuit in the disbributor cap) which induces high voltage on the secondary coil and the green/black is like a feed which provides it 12v. Having a careful think about it would I tap off the blue wire for a pulse freq reading??

your help would be most appreciated :)

Mani

the senser wire of the rev counter goes to the + side of the coil,ok you dont touch the 2 wires that go to the dizzy

yep bob is right one to + one to - on the coil then the other wire into your dimmer switch on your lights that way the light comes on with your side lights

Thanks,

I will check on the car with a very warm jacket on. I made a digital rev counter with an LCD and a programmed LCD driver. Under test, it displays the rev numbers i.e. 2.67, 1.45 etc and a bar going up and down. I saw a website which outlined the devices needed to make a generic and simple one so I thought I’d give it a try with an LCD screen but the guy had a different car so the wirings will be different. The LCD screen has a low power background light so I will tap off the light switch and connect it to a low voltage driver to safely switch on the LCD light.

Bob, I assume when you say the dizzy that you mean the distributor cap? :s

Mani

I also want to install a rev counter on my k10. Butt i don't know how?

I don't understand your english? Could somebody explain it less difficult?

Usually its the negative wire going to the coil,always works fine for me fitted about 10 of them

Back