Wiring speakers in parallel

capnmchl

Ex. Club Member
I just wanna check something with you guys before I do it. Here are 2 pictures of different wiring setups for speakers. But are they the same thing at the end of the day? The box is the amp, and it only has one set of connectors for each channel, and the circles are speakers. Everything is connected to it's right coloured connector. Sorry if the pictures aren't that clear.

I just want to know if they are the same thing at the end of the day, because the first one uses less wiring then the second one.

Attachments

• Speaker wiring 1.JPG
    Speaker wiring 1.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 180
  • speaker wiring 2.JPG
    speaker wiring 2.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 178
Yes they are the same, parallel means they are connected across each other which both pictures show,

wheather you do it at the speakers, at the amp, or anywhere between they are still connected across eachother so are in parallel

What I thought. I've always just said if it uses some sort of common power rail, then it's parallel, and it does.

Just double checking though.

Just one thing though, shouldn't be a major issue, but the first positive lead that is carrying the power to the first speaker, should this be thicker than the second lead that's going to the second speaker in parallel? For example if you have two 300w speakers and the cable can only handle say 400w the first lead should be able to handle 700w max.

The leads going to/from the first speaker should be thick enough to handle the TOTAL power. IMHO you would be better wiring all the speakers direct to the amp, you'll get a better response from the second set in comparison to the first setup. This also makes it easier to add a four-channel amp in the future.

BG

Back