Horn wiring

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
Hey peoples,

i bought a dodgy cheap boss it and it requires fitting the horn up to it. I.e Wiring a hard soldered postive wire and grounding the negative.

Can anyone suggest the colour or even plug location of the horn wire? I.E the positive wire for it.

Ive seen a few wires down there however looks like one is the airbag wiring (brownish plug) and the other looks like it plugged into the back of the steering coloumn. Any suggestion?

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
Yes, however I did not remove a stock steering wheel from the car it was a R32 skyline wheel the previous owner installed (I assume before he sold it to keep the boss kit) I suppose I didnt have a really good look but any help would be great. If its a plug seperate to the airbag would be nice too. I assume it is.

If anyone knows of a colour that would be great too!

CMF_bigstick

» CMF Member
if your asking which wire the horn is out of the wiring loom, it should be green/white trace. It should be a single wire coming from the loom. u can double check by tracing it to horn fuse with a m/meter or 12v light tester. it should have a black plug.

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
Excellent that green plug is plugged into the rear of the steering coloumn I just have to hook it up.

BTW - No horn was hooked up at all to the wheel.

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
Ok, so I wired it up to the wire and then frayed the wire when turning the wheel..

So with this dodgy boss kit that does not reach the horn nipple built into the steering column I had an issue how I solved it was quite easy and may be of help to others.

I needed:
3mm drill bit, wire stripper/crimping tool (its important) and a self screwing 4mm screw, screwdriver (dont use a drill)

So all I did was drill the 5mm or so nipple straight down the middle, holding the crimpers on the nipple restrains it and allows you to drill perfectly straight. I drilled about 1cm into it.

I then drilled the screw into this hole and put the boss kit on wired postive to the boss kit metal surround which touches the now extended nipple and grounded the negative terminal to the hub.

The horn works perfect and I cant fray any wires any more. Hope this helps some who buy the cheapo $40 ebay boss kit it works perfect with this mod.

Good luck

Back