Will A Flamer Kit Work

Are you serious?!!! depends what type but a sparkplug in the exhaust - NO.

Is there not a kit which has a pipe near the end of the exhaust that pumps petrol up then cuts of and ignights the petrol. Thats what someone told me but probly totally wrong

Its not like your gonna use it while bombing down the motorway though is it!

Some flamer kits I know of spit the flame out everytime you change gear, I followed a 200SX with one a couple of months ago...

But still, illegal is illegal.

I hear they work better with a turbo?

correct. Most kits are better on fuel hungry cars, like evo's and imprezas etc. Unburnt fuel is ignited instead of having its own seperate fuel supply, which is probably what a micra will need!

You'l need to remove the cat's too for a flame kit to work better

you need to remove the cat which will stop rich exhaust fumes getting to the backbox.

Once the cat has been removed you need to drill a spark plug into the tip of the backbox hidden away so it cannot be seen, connected via a ignition lead to the postive on the battery, wire in a dashboard mouted switch.

Start the car and when you flick the switch you should see the spark plug light up, rev the car up and watch the flames fly!!!

Be carefull though....

I think it more boils down to the fact that (in the UK at least) flamer kits are illegal.

\wrong

they are illegal to use on a public highway, NOT illegal to have installed on the car..

translation -

...you can drive around with the system fitted as long as you dont 'light it up' on a public road...

...oh.. and it will work on a 1.0 micra if installed correctly, although removal of both Cats is essential really... making your car illegal..

ANYthing with a petrol motor fitted can have a flamer kit intalled.. INC lawnmowers and mini-motos

lmao could imagine passing an MOT would be fun on that setup

It should pass an MOT provided the electrics are nice and safe..

...CONCIDER it the same as having a load of blue neons fitted to your car..
illigal to use on a public road but you car will pass an MOT with them fitted... just use them only when your parked up at local barry cruise site..

They're the same as Neons etc. Non road legal but show / private use etc.

Dont know why people make a huge fuss about the legality or not. As above, you wouldnt use it on the roads anyway!

There wont ever be a time on a Micra (K11) when there will be enough unburnt fuel to do that, even without a cat. When you throttle off the ecu cuts fuel, when you hit the rev limit the ecu cuts fuel first, so there wont ever be enough in the exhaust...

For that reson youll only get an artifical one working..

There wont ever be a time on a Micra (K11) when there will be enough unburnt fuel to do that, even without a cat. When you throttle off the ecu cuts fuel, when you hit the rev limit the ecu cuts fuel first, so there wont ever be enough in the exhaust...

For that reson youll only get an artifical one working..

what if the engine is tuned? with a turbo etc?

James, some highly tuned cars spit flames when changing gear normally, its not a kit its just what happens... watch the rally cars they do the same...

a flame kit is little more than a spark plug that sets fire to the unburnt fuel in the exhaust system. the cat is supposed to do the same only inside the exhaust.

it is possible to get it working on a k11 but you would probably have to do something like run the car rich... not good

a charger of somekind (super, turbo, N02) should give you enough unburnt fuel to make flames :) as i recall Ed's March ST spat flames ;)

raceworx's & richmicratwista's micra's spit flames out every time you let off at high revs, both have de-cats and janspeed manifolds.

Some flamer kits I know of spit the flame out everytime you change gear, I followed a 200SX with one a couple of months ago...

chances are it was just well modded dude

and on a serious note, a modded 1.3 K11 with manifold full zost inc manifold n decat will flame, mine did...

raceworx's & richmicratwista's micra's spit flames out every time you let off at high revs, both have de-cats and janspeed manifolds.

Ive actually got footage of my old 1.3 micra spitting flames.. popped like a real rally car too..

Mods were a 1.6TB and ecu, ajdustable fse, Janspeed and decat.. same as above...

...pepping the throttle at around 5k in 3rd was my way of definatly getting flames and pops..

i have seen flames from riches 1.0 micra with a janspeed de-cat and a backbox.. tommos does aswell.. i dont know if mine does iv nver been behind it when its moving.. im not adding to the argument on weather there ilegal or not or there cool ect only saying what i have seen with my own eyes.. anyway flames really are a sign of an engine running to rich which isnt the best for performance anyway!!

chances are it was just well modded dude

and on a serious note, a modded 1.3 K11 with manifold full zost inc manifold n decat will flame, mine did...
It was Ed's mates car, and it was a stock CA18DET with twin exhausts lol

Lol, a few months ago I was at a mate's house and we were bored as hell, so we decided to take the exhaust off his ride-on lawnmower and go for a ride. It was dark and the flames were flying out of the little stub of pipe coming straight out of the cylinder lol. The noise was mental.

James, some highly tuned cars spit flames when changing gear normally, its not a kit its just what happens... watch the rally cars they do the same...

Correct me if I'm wrong but they get the flames because of their anti-lag systems, that are needed on the turbo powered rally cars as rally cars aren't allowed dump valves or re-circ valves.

Yes the ST did flames because of anti-lag. However K11s etc can pop on overrun if you fether the throttle as the ecu comes in and out of fuel cut. The popping in theexhaust is actually happening due to a lean mixture that slowly builds to a point it can pop. But its certaintly NOT enough to make flames as such.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they get the flames because of their anti-lag systems, that are needed on the turbo powered rally cars as rally cars aren't allowed dump valves or re-circ valves.

yea, you're probably right.... god i want a rally car! :D

my modified k11 i dont think has EVER spit flames since the janspeed manifold and de-cat exhaust was put on??

any explanation for mine not doing it?
dont get me wrong...im very pleased that mine doesnt spit flames evrytime i change gear but what would be the difference??

napster

my modified k11 i dont think has EVER spit flames since the janspeed manifold and de-cat exhaust was put on??

dont get me wrong...im very pleased that mine doesnt spit flames evrytime i change gear but what would be the difference??

napster

yours probably has the right air/fuel mix lol

yours probably has the right air/fuel mix lol

but would that be the only reason? would it be anything todo with "a hole in the exhaust somehwere"? or that wouldnt effect it?

im just enquiring because its interested me now :)

but would that be the only reason? would it be anything todo with "a hole in the exhaust somehwere"? or that wouldnt effect it?

im just enquiring because its interested me now :)

na, i'm pretty sure it would be down to the mix. basically you need unburnt fuel to catch fire inside your exhaust. to do that your engine needs to be spitting unburnt fuel which will be an issue with the mix or the timing, and then there needs to be something like some glowing embers in the exhaust or something like that to ignite it. so the fact that yours isn't flaming is a good sign that everything it running fine :D

na, i'm pretty sure it would be down to the mix. basically you need unburnt fuel to catch fire inside your exhaust. to do that your engine needs to be spitting unburnt fuel which will be an issue with the mix or the timing, and then there needs to be something like some glowing embers in the exhaust or something like that to ignite it. so the fact that yours isn't flaming is a good sign that everything it running fine :D

thats good to know that im not going down the road on fire lol

cheers nex

Its not that simple but in any case you dont need to worry either way.

my 1.3 carb pug 309 spat a 3ft flame everytime you revved and let off....... melted the bumper eventualy. but that was in group N spec rally specification, full straight through exhaust, no cats or silencers (not that loud actualy) under body protection, shocks and springs, gti brakes etc etc. but that was funny with a little 309 1.3 spitting a bright blue flame straight out of the exhaust!.. mm

i know my k11 doesnt spit flames.....yet! haha

i used to have a nova sr running a weber carb and full exhaust system, i used to rev it up hard then turn ignition off and quickly turn it back on, this used to create a loud backfire and then a flame as you reved it back up again. The car didnt last me long only about 3months i ended up snapping a valve which let water into the exhaust and soon the car was dead.....

The backfiring with ignition works on all novas that are non injection and a aftermarket backbox.

When i first got the micra straight after having a nova i tried this out never worked!! Micra is a way more technical car when it comes down to the ecu.

napster

isnt it because 1.0 micras run rich? raceworx's 1.3 has no box's in the exhaust its just straight through 2" stainless pipe, wouldnt this make it spit flames out?

Back