White Knight - pics of worn ring gear and starter teeth

CMF_justo

» CMF Member
Been having problems starting White Knight for a while now. It'd make this grinding noise which the everyone first said was the ring gear.

After having the ring gear looked at during the clutch replacement it was decided that while worn, the ring gear should still function ok.

So, by process of elimination, we looked at the starter motor. The car didn't want to start without a good ol bash of the starter the other night. Then yesterday morning refused to do anything apart from make the grinding noise. You can hear the starter pinion winding up and slowly engaging to make the grinding noise which further supported the idea that the starter is the problem.

Got a mechanic around today to take it out and it's being sent off to a local guy to fix it. Should get it back today, if not tomorrow (great service!). Rough quote was $200-$250 fitted which I was happy with.

Some pics
Ring Gear
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j90/justo316/ringgear.jpg

Starter
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j90/justo316/starter.jpg

CMF_justo

» CMF Member
if you look on the starter motor shaft, you can see how far the pinion was coming out by the wear.

I'm hoping that was the problem.

I just got word from my mechanic who said the guy looking at the starter lubed it up and couldn't fault it. Supposedly, it is coming "all the way out" now. Although, their definition of all the way out might be as far as it would come out from that pic....

I get it back tomorrow morning so fingers crossed it works.

I might actually get the guy to hook it up to 12V outside of the car so I can see for my own eyes how far the pinion moves. Maybe take some measurements to see if we can get the teeth to line up better with the ring gear.

Attachments

• 30706.jpg
    30706.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 33

CMF_justo

» CMF Member
Well, the starter is all good now. But i'm still not able to start the car properly.

It appears the way the starter is mounted, it doesn't allow the pinion to reach the ring gear enough.

I am going to have to look for someone to measure it up and manufacture a new mount to allow better gear mesh.

*sigh*

cisco

» CMF Member
Didn't white knight actually have a totally different starter motor on it from some other model car? Or the gearbox was off something slightly different or something? I can't remember. But I don't think with all dead factory micra parts this would happen. It seems like a micro-incompatibility or tiny clearances problem showing itself more over time..?

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah wasn't the gearbox off like hmmmmmm some kind of passenger/van/family small thing? What was it now, totally forget..

Back