Which direction to adjust clutch cable?

CMF_Martos

» CMF Member
The biting point on my micra has been high since I bought it and I thought I'd attempt to lower it towards the middle of the pedal travel. Have a picture here of the clutch cable. Now should I thread the end of the cable towards the blue arrow or the red to lower the biting point? And how many turns? Also, should I try this with the engine running? Thanks for any replies.

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
loosen the locknut then unscrew the thumbscrew towards blue arrow to loosen the cable from the clutch lever to lower the biting point.

adjust by trial n error till the bite points between 1/4 & 1/2 way up. can do this with engine running, just keep handbrake on.

tighten locknut when finished

CMF_Martos

» CMF Member
Thanks for the reply, asdame. Did as you suggested and the biting point is now just under half-way. Strange thing is that the clutch pedal now has less resitance than it did before, which I hope is a good thing! Before was quite stiff.
Come to think of it, my accelerator pedal needs Schwarzenegger leg-power to push it to the floor. Saves money on fuel, though!

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
sounds normal cos the pressure plate behaves the same as any spring, the more its sqashed the harder it feels. previously ur clutch was pressing on the diaphram constantly hence feels harder. now that you've loosened it back to normal its not pressing it anymore when the pedals lifted hence little resistance (and less clutch & thrust bearing wear too)

also the clutch pedal has a bi-stable spring in it which helps you pull the clutch cable more when the pedal is 1/2 way down, therefore light clutch feel

throttle cable or pedal or TB butterfly sounds like it needs lubing cos it should be light as a feather

Back