Clutch Cable

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Biting point is really high on my car, this is how the thumb wheel adjuster looks
PLeQ3.jpeg

Is it adjusted as far as it'll go previously and my clutch needs changing?
Or can I lower the biting point some more?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

I'll crack the lock nut and twiddle the thumb wheel.

I wonder why it's adjusted way back like that? I've had no problems with the clutch slipping.

mine was before i changed the clutch after wards the slack was just taken up and my biting point was instant :) hope it helped

I'll crack the lock nut and twiddle the thumb wheel.

I wonder why it's adjusted way back like that? I've had no problems with the clutch slipping.

when a new thicker clutch plate is installed, the thumbscrew is tightened all the way up so that when the pedal is pushed, the clutch fork pushes on the diaphram far enough to release the pressure plate away off the plate.

as the clutch wears down thinner you have to annually unscrew that nut down the cable till the bitepoints bout 1/2 way.

when the nut is close to the end of the cable thread, it's time to replace the clutch

when a new thicker clutch plate is installed, the thumbscrew is tightened all the way up so that when the pedal is pushed, the clutch fork pushes on the diaphram far enough to release the pressure plate away off the plate.

as the clutch wears down thinner you have to annually unscrew that nut down the cable till the bitepoints bout 1/2 way.

when the nut is close to the end of the cable thread, it's time to replace the clutch
That makes a lot of sense, thanks!

Well I loosened the nut and adjusted the thumbwheel but the cable became so slack the clutch pedal wasn't even pulling the arm back anymore.

Clutch cable looks very shiny, maybe it's been replaced with the wrong one :rolleyes:

if the bite point was too high when the screw was all the way up but now too low after unscrewing it, you may have unscrewed it too far.

tighten it back up to the top position where the bite was very high, start engine handbrake on locknut still loose, select gear and check bitepoint.
if its above 1/2 way, select neutral, loosen the thumbscrew 2 turns, check bitepoint again.
when its correct tighten the locknut up

if the bite point was too high when the screw was all the way up but now too low after unscrewing it, you may have unscrewed it too far.

tighten it back up to the top position where the bite was very high, start engine handbrake on locknut still loose, select gear and check bitepoint.
if its above 1/2 way, select neutral, loosen the thumbscrew 2 turns, check bitepoint again.
when its correct tighten the locknut up

Oh, very fine adjustment! Yep, 2 small twists and bite point is much lower. Thumbwheel still very near the end of the adjuster so I guess a clutch will be needed next year :)

my cable was exactly the same ..fully adjusted ..but the clutch was not slipping ..so i put in a small washer to act as a spacer to give me a bit more on the clutch pedal ..until i get a new clutch fitted [ which will be tomorrow ] ..

Biting point is really high on my car, this is how the thumb wheel adjuster looks
PLeQ3.jpeg

Is it adjusted as far as it'll go previously and my clutch needs changing?
Or can I lower the biting point some more?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

it same as my other facelift. did you see this cap (it looks like beer cap). does this cap need to go to half way back?

it same as my other facelift. did you see this cap (it looks like beer cap). does this cap need to go to half way back?
I can't remember, such a long time ago.

Adjust it one way and give the clutch a feel, if it's worse, adjust the other way :)

I think tightening the cable will lower the bite point if it's high. Correct me if i'm wrong :)

Back