Which 6x9???help!!!

.kiz

Buy & Sell Member
ok so i currently have a pair of jbl which has written 210watt on the bottom of the speaker

i have just been given a pair of mutantX nw69spx speakers with 300watt written on the bottom of them, although apparently thats only the peak power

so whats the best one to go with, and if possible, shall i just put both in, considering though that i have a set of door speakers, which means i will have 4 6x9 and 2 10cm

ahh i dont know, someone help me please :D

jbl are better quality then the mutant ones, they are probably about the same RMS wattage. stick 2 in the parcel shelf and 2 in the rear quarters.....

They're probably about 60/80W RMS power. I've always been a fan of pioneer stuff, got a set of there 6x9's too and can't fault them. Amplify them though and set them up properly (solid shelf etc)

yeah im going to have a look around the car and see where i can whack it, although the back area sounds good as then i have speakers left, right and centre :p

That would look crap, and sound crap Olly! Much better things you can stick in the front, and putting 6x9's in the rear cards is a bad idea too.

That would look crap, and sound crap Olly! Much better things you can stick in the front, and putting 6x9's in the rear cards is a bad idea too.

I've done it before, it looks good if you smooth the builds into the car. And it sounds better than the 10CM ones cos there's more cone to move air so bass response is better.

Why'd you want so much bass up front? i'd take quality and clarity over noise any day. Get some 17's or components and do things properly

I like a full range up front, not just a bit of tin. Up to you though, if you have a sub then small speakers are ok.

Throw the mutant ones in the bin and never go near or think about mutant again.

I got given some mutant X ones. Same as yours, 300W written on the bottom, their actually 50w RMS and i blew them up on a 40w headunit.

At the moment (till i have better money) my setup is mainly JBL, current setup is:

~8 Gauge wiring for power, feeds 2 amps at the moment
~JBL GTO937 6x9's, 100W RMS, 300W Peak, 2 Ohm, Running on...
~JBL GTO75.2, 2 Channel, 2 Ohm Stable, Running 142W RMSx2 at 2 Ohms through the 6x9's. Doesn't obliterate them on High Pass filter though, they handle 142W RMS fine.
~JBL GTO1202D, 12" Subwoofer, Dual 2 Ohm, Currently Wired to 4 Ohm, 300W RMS, 1200W PEak, running on...
~Boss Audio 600W 2CH amp, Bridged to 300W RMS at 4 Ohms. Set to Low pass filter.
~Sony CDX-S2200 Headunit, powering all above through 1 pair of RCA's (JBL amp has another pre-out), plus 2 tweeters.

All the above sounds ok to me for a budget build, although i personally want to step up to a 15 inch sub again, ported so i can drop down lower, mainly because of one song i love lol. Where are you btw? You can have a listen to mine if you want. Also, i think i used to have the same JBL 6x9's your on about in my daewoo matiz (don't laugh), they sounded alright as well. I think they had better treble over my ones if i'm honest, albeit a lower power handling =)

Hope that helps. Anything else just ask and i'll try and help. Alpine gear is blatently the best stuff if you can afford it btw!

EDIT: These are the same as my 6x9's: Click Here

no money to buy any yet, it sounds a bit gutless up the front i admit.

I want some Type R components up front then i'll get a matched alpine amp, then alpine 6x9's, then match them to an alipe amp, then finally i want a pair of 12" type r's or 1 15" type r, whichever appears first =)

You dont have to have an all-matched system you know...

Oh, and the Type-S's are almost as good as the Type-R's, but significantly cheaper!

you don't have to but i like too =D I hate the fact i have a boss amp, i want a better amp thats JBL so it all matches. It's just something i like doing. Looks more organised IMHO, i mean, all teh chavs around my area have christ knows what unheard of makes of subs with christ knows what amps and 6c9's, it really annoys me. I reckon it just looks better overall. It's a shame JBL don't make headunits with Ipod+bluetooth connectivity because i would've kept my whole system if they did!

ok so i found a homely home to my mutant 6x9
i first tried tapping it into the jbls, but the door speakers ended upo louder and produced a high bass tone.
so anyway i re-wired the jbls on the parcel, and switched on my music to see if it works.
it did, but my front driver door speaker stopped working, and on closer inspection, one of the connectors snapped.
so i thought, what if i had 6x9 in the back and front?
anyway i took the door speakers out and wired the mutants, just laying them on my seat and it sounded amazing.
next problem was putting the speakers somewhere.
at first i wanted to put them under the seats, giving a thumping feel, but there was no room.
i was thinking inside the seats somehow, but that idea went out very soon.
so then i thought "how about the footwells"
means i have bass up front and back, and with the vents and holes in the dash, atleast some music will come through.
so i decided where to place them, and popped them on with cable ties, making them the same way up as my jbl's.
strapped them in with cable ties (which will get replaced when i can afford it although its safe in there deffo) and viola! it sounds so much better.
all i needed to do was switch the fader so more sound comes from the front and it was done :p.
bit of an essay but oh well :), and the 6x9 you cant see them atall, and they are out the way of anything that could effect my driving.
and i know someone will say its either silly or stupid, but i felt like doing something different :), 6x9 in the dash, i dont know anyone

ok so i currently have a pair of jbl which has written 210watt on the bottom of the speaker

i have just been given a pair of mutantX nw69spx speakers with 300watt written on the bottom of them, although apparently thats only the peak power

so whats the best one to go with, and if possible, shall i just put both in, considering though that i have a set of door speakers, which means i will have 4 6x9 and 2 10cm

ahh i dont know, someone help me please :D

I'll be another person to agree that mutant is no good!
definatly dont buy one of their sub and amp packs!
PIONEER 6x9s FTW!

having 6x9s in front is a great idea through expecially if you're a bass fanatic, i personally just ditched the door speakers as the left one doesn't work, wiring probably gone wrong...

:k11motors

Back