6x9 installation problems

G

Gamo

Hi everyone, wondering if anyone can help me and explain the installation process of rear 6x9's in a k11.
I currently have the speakers mounted on the parcel shelf and the wires running messily through the car.

What i was wondering is how you connect the wires to the head unit? no soldering involved preferably, and also how to run the wires through the car and into the head unit as tidy as possible.

Thanks in advance!
Paul

You can run the wires either side of the car right next to the side panels under the carpet. You'll need an ISO block or somethin similar to connect the two wires to the head unit, don't worry no soldering involved lol!! Have a quick search in the ICE section, bound to be a thread explaining everything in there :)

well, missing out the "i dont like parcel shelf mounted 6x9's " speach i allways do.

behind your head unit, (after market i presume) there will be a standard ISO wiring harness, (Square made up of two rectangles) on one side there will me a red, yellow, blue, black and sometimes a brown or orange wire. on the other side, (the side you need to use) there will be, two white cables, two gray ones, two purpe and two green,

the purple and green ones are your rear channels. one of the green and one of the purple wires are your negative's, (ie the one with the black stripe) and the other the +-ve.

connect one wire from the speakers to the possotive purple and the other to the negative purple, and then the same with the other speaker but on the green.

the best way to do this is, snip the cables, strip them back a but, and use bullet style connectors.... this way they are kept tidy, easily removed without tools and are safer.

rounting the cables is easy too, you can either run them along the edge of the carpet, (lift the trim up and poke it under) ir you can run the cable down the middle, wich wil involve taking the seats out.

have fun. and its allways best to have a solid shelf rather than the standard one. and to "box" them too.

good luck.

Thanks for your help! ill try that all tomorrow. Which set of wires do i snip - the wires on the iso adapter i bought for the micra or the wires that were plugged into the stock head unit if you get what i mean! :grinning:

just so im clear. I attach the speaker wires to the iso adapter so that it just bypasses the wires that were already attached to the micra as it is a 2 speaker model. I think i understand. it will go speaker - wire - iso - head unit instead of speaker - wire - micra wires - iso - head unit.
and for attaching the wires do i go to halfords and ask for bullet style connectors and they'll show me what i need?

Sorry with all the repeated questions but i just want to be clear im hearing what eveyone is saying!

Thanks

yep, just ask one of the ripspeed guys for bullet connectors from the "odd pack" section..

and you got it right, speaker, wire iso headunit...

ANT

well, missing out the "i dont like parcel shelf mounted 6x9's " speach i allways do.

Yeah but there's nowhere else to stick them unless you have a proper install. I know what you mean it doesn't look very good but there's no where else to put them.

First of all, all credit due to the guy who posted this. Sorry dude I cant remember your name but I copied it and pasted it at the time...

Rear Speaker Connector - Picture
I noticed a lot of threads about the rear speaker connections from the harness in Micras. Well I thought I would post a pic of where I found it in my X-reg (Jan 2000) Micra 1.0S. Its the white connector with the yellow bit (centre-ish of pic) you see in the pic here:

agdn0.jpg

Its fastened to a metal bracket. Its located behind the upright bit of carpet on the RH side of the boot (view from the rear), close behind the offside rear light cluster. Also while I was at it I took the time to note the wire colours at that connector block and match them up with the speaker outputs from the HU. Heres what I found:

LR+ orange/red
LR- green/black
RR+ red/black
RR- pink/black

Also (while I was at it) I made a note of the front speaker wire colours at the HU too !

LF+ blue
LF- black/white
RF+ brown
RF- brown/black

Hope this helps others !!

Now im confused, sorry im a real amatuer to all this but i didn't want to pay £50 for installation.
Do i snip the wires in the right of the boot or route the wires from the 6x9s to the front and snip wires there?
Also how do i join the wires together using bullet connectors?
Thanks

It's not about them looking good, it's about airspace, sound quality and sound staging.

Doesn't matter so much just for a pair of 6x9s though. I mean if your not going for an install do you care about getting everything you can from the speakers?

The wires in the back are already connected to the factory fitted Head Unit. What head unit do you have? IF you have replaced the factory fitted HU with an aftermarket one and done it using the correct ISO block/adaptor then your rear wire will still be connected. If everything is connected at the front then you do not need to snip anything at the front.. unless you want to add new speaker wire.

So instead of running fresh wire through the car from the HU to the boot you could see if the wires are already there in your boot and use those ones?! It is up to you.. they will do the job but if you are after quality then new wire would be best.

Bullet connectors are self explanatory. Go into Halfords or some place and take a look.. all you need is a crimping tool/wire stripper. You can use the inside of the tool like a pliar. Otherwise you can use pliars if you want to close the connection.

SRCBUM-1I.jpg

That is the bullet head

SRCBUR-1F.jpg

That is the bullet socket

You feed the wire into the back and squeeze with all your might.. with your pliars to secure it in place.. then place the bullet into the socket and it is quite a tight fit so should hold fine without the need for your pliars!

You can buy colour coded bullet connectors. I would suggest you do this.. and make a note of the left and right channel so you get it correct.. hence the colour codes above of the boot wiring harness.. you will only need to strip wires at the back.. to connect your new speakers to the harness which is there.. so you still need the speaker cable but not a lot unless you are installing completely new wires from the front to the back! Its up to you how you want to do it.. but if you are a beginner or not fussed about the sound difference then just work at the back.. and dont lay the new track of wire down..

Hope that helps.

I snipped the wires in the right of the boot and connected them to the wires from my speakers using spade connectors but still no sound. Any ideas?

1. What head unit is it? If it is not the manufacturers one then.. who installed it and how? Did they leave out the rear connection? In theory if the correct ISO was used then the rear speakers should be wired in already but if not then.. you may need to repeat the bullet connector process at the front.. locate the wires.. and see if they are connected or not.. they may have been left out..

If you do not already know how to remove the HU.. here is how to do it..

http://www.mightymicra.co.uk/

Enter the site

Go to ICE (top bar) and then on the side left menu select Head Unit.

Hope that helps

Easy test - make sure the car is turned off, disconnect the iso block. Locate the wires that are supposed to run to the rear speakers, make sure they're actually there :D

Connect together the positive and negative lines for the rear speakers, go back to your iso block and use a multimeter, set it to read resistence (ohms) put one lead to the neg wire, and one to the positive wire. If you get a lowish reading then you have a circuit, so the wires are ok. If the reading is high (in the millions of ohms department) then you dont have a circuit.

That means either the wires have been cut at some point, or possibly your testing the wrong wires. If you dont have a circuit, make sure your testing the wires for the rear speakers, and you havent accidently cut the wires for something else in the boot. If you have a circuit, then check and make sure that:

A: The speakers actually work
B: You connected them the right way around
C: The headunit supports 4 speakers. Alot of em, specially cheaper ones and older ones, will only support front speakers not rear speakers too.
D: The wires are connected to the right section on your head unit
E: The head unit works 100%

If you dont have a circuit and you've tested the correct wires, then you probably need to lay some new cabling, theres loads of guides on how to do that, basically just run it under the carpet along the side of the footwell.

I have a kenwood head unit - KDC-W4534. I installed it myself, just removed the old stereo and bought an iso apapter and plugged it in.
My front door speakers some guy at a shop did them, he just swapped the wires over.
But now these rear speakers are causing me trouble. I thought the wires in the boot would work, i did wonder my micra would supply those wires in a 2 speaker car.
Im guessing i should just run the speakers to the front then snip the iso apapter and attach the speaker wires there.

All done! i just finished doing it in the pitch black! I used the wires in the boot and connected the wires together with spade connecters. I hope my speakers aren't too powerful for the wire.
The reason it wasn't working last time was that i had the spade connectors plugged upside down i think!
Thank you very much for everyones help much appreciated! :grinning:

Your speakers won't be too powerful. It's better to have higher rated speakers that your input anyway.

Back