Where to put axle stands

wehey

Ex. Club Member
Hiya all
Where do you put axle stands when working under your Micras.
I need to change the handbrake cable and it will involve working right under the car.
I usually use a trolley jack under trailing arm mounting or use the cars jack under the cills to lift it up but cant figure the best place to put axle stands to make it all safe?
Ta :)

Jacking the front up I tend to put axle stands on both the two "beams" that go length ways with the vehicle.

The rear I usually put on the axle as close to the wheels as poss.

Sorry its a bit hard to describe without pics. Hope it helps

i trolley jack the front up via under the lower susp arm rear mount then rest it on axle stands via the front bit of the chassis square railing that runs under the floorpan.
do not jack the car up via the middle of the crossmember cos the cars weight will buckle the weak box section and affect the position of the radiator, front engine mount and bonnet catch.

the rear i trolley jack from the middle of the axle beam (it's pretty substantial n beefy enough) then support both sides of the round axle beam on axle stands. if you need to lower the axle beam to remove rear springs, I support the chassis on axle stands with a cloth on top located in that valley just in front of the lower trailing arm mount

I jack under the car and put the axle stands under the jack points on the sill (the bit where you'd lift using the jack that comes with the car :) ).

Back