Where do I stand legally? Advice wanted asap......

Hi all

My beloved K10 failed his MOT two days ago, needing quite a lot of welding. However at the end of this month I need a car to relocate 100 miles from my current town. My current MOT certificate runs out on the 28th May and my tax runs out 31st May.

My question is - is there any way that I could LEGALLY drive the car on the 3rd June to my destination? I guess I can buy a tax disc before that date, so that would be legal but it's the MOT issue that's bothering me. Am I right in thinking that if the car is booked in for an MOT at my destination town I can legally drive there?

Any advice would be great - to be honest, if I had loads of money, I would just buy another car but I need every penny for the relocation.....fingers crossed someone out there can help :)

legally you COULD have driven it as far as you liked to an mot test, if it was booked in for the same day.

However, since it has failed its mot, that automatically renders you current MOT null and void.

the mot is only a test to say your car is legal during the MOT test itself.... you could get pulled over just outside the test centre and be nobbled by the fuzz.

unfortunately now that the ministry has said NO. then thats that until it passes again.

i drove from dundee to grimsby for my mot... lol

PS my dad is chief examiner for VOSA so my advise is solid.

No your car has MOT until it runs out on the certificate, for example if it only failed on a bulb or headlight aim and had 3 weeks remaining its not illegal to drive its just unfortunate that yours needs welding. Only way to be legal is pass its mot or buy a new car

EDIT: Reading antony's sounds like if it fails dont drive it at all bulb or not

thanks for that, however I just phoned the local police and they confirmed what Antony said - because I have been efficient and had my MOT done early it is now illegal unless I am driving to a pre-booked repair to sort the MOT failure. Gutted! :(

sorry to be the bearer of bad news......

basically what you have done is confirm with the authorities that your car is unsafe "legally" on the road before your mot runs out, which surpasses the current certificate.

but you still could technically renew the tax and drive the car to its next MOT, which is based in the location you are going to, but if you do get pulled, you would have to hope they are nice, because it is taking the piss a bit.

it is, but it is still legal, like i said, i drove my car to grimsby from dundee.. thats 400 miles... for its mot.

on the downside......... you cannot tax a car without an mot..... so now your mot is invalidated.... you cannot tax it.

Really annoys me tbh - where I live there are foreigners driving illegal cars all over the place who never seem to bother with trivialities like the law. There is a car on my road owned by a Polish bloke that has been untaxed for 3 months - I have reported it to DVLA and the police and yet it's still there. I really feel like I have been punished for being efficient and getting the MOT done early, rather than "forgetting" to do it as a lot of people do these days. Oh well, car will be on ebay in half hour :(

I went to two places today and they basically said it needed inner and outer sill on one side, loads of work, blah blah and quoted me a ridiculous amount. The thing that is gutting is that it has been such a good car and it's such a sad end for it....

Back