wheels bolts working loose

My front nearside wheel bolts are working themselves loose :(

this started when i had goldstars alloys on i at first fort it was the exhaust banging but it wasnt, i put my wheels back on and the banging stopped...for a day. i fort it could be my CV joint and was annoyed as its 3weeks old. was driving last night with the banging. had been on the motorway doing 70. anyway it got slightly worst at about 9.30 so we pulled over and my friend said it sounds like the brake disk wobbling because when you brake it stops. looked at the wheel, two bolts where nearly off and the other two where very loose. when i changed my cv joint there where loose then but i fort someone had been trying to half inch my wheels...guess i was wrong.

anyone have an idea why it could be happening? its abit poo

are they proper bolts for alloy wheels?, if not then that could be a reason, if its a vibration thing, then try putting a coating of coppereaze between the hub and the brake disc might be just enought to stop the vibration.

u could try switching the wheels over and if the problem goes with the wheel, then its a wheel balance problem, if its the same then its something mechanical.

good place to start imo ;)

well the wheels have been changed when i put my wheels back on so they are not i the right place. they did it on goldstars wheels. surely 3 wheels wont be out of balance

are they the right center bore? do you vibrations through the wheel at speed? when will i stop askin pointless questions?

sorry lol it could be that the centre bore on the wheels are not the right size, if you get a vibration through the wheel like a wheel is unbalanced then you could try using spiggot rings. this happened to me and it cleared it right up.

wheels are right center bore. i only get vibrations between 65mph and 70mph above or below those speeds its fine

anyone know where spigot rings can be purchased? and costs

hughes_16v said:
wheels are right center bore. i only get vibrations between 65mph and 70mph above or below those speeds its fine

anyone know where spigot rings can be purchased? and costs

sound like in correct wheel balance but that would just cause a shudder and nothing i know of should cause the wheel nuts to fall off unless

A)You haven't tightened them up proper or.
B)You have the wrong nuts for the wheels.

as everyone has said, take them to a tyre shed and get them to check your wheel balance, get them to check the deflection of your wheels too (buckles basically) see about getting your wheel alignment done too.

As for the nuts coming loose, id get proper alloy wheel nuts, the cup may be different on your alloys as on the standard wheels, meaning the nuts wont fit securely!

hope that helps mate,
Daz

Back